Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Operation 365 2… Blog 97

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Covers – 97 “Heart of Gold” by Neil Young


It’s been a bit chaotic lately, but I kind of like it. No serious tragedies, just fun busy-ness, mostly. I was going to record my vids outside today, but I have what I’ll call, a-neighbor-who-likes-Dave-Mathews-too-much problem. It’s tough. No way I was recording anything out there today, without it being all Dave-y and that was not going to fly. Last night (and the night before) I did it again. I wrote 24 tunes. Two slightly related batches of 12. I began Tuesday at about 10:30 and finished last night around 8:50. I spent most of the free seconds I had today, typing them all up. How do you turn creativity into busy work ASAP? Be me. That’s how. I love it. I’d have it no other way. I enjoy the manufactured pressure of forcing myself to write a whole bunch of tunes real quick. It’s mentally stimulating. Some how, some of these tunes, turn out OK.

Here’s a number that turned out far more that OK by a guy who’s written quite a few tunes himself. Hail Neil Young. Way to represent for the older generation but not losing one ounce of your artistic integrity ever. Impressive.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 97 “Reruns” by Jefferson Jay

“Reruns” was one of the fun ones from my (now) first batch of 24 tunes I wrote at once a few weeks back. The idea is that it would be cool if there were “Reruns” in life. This song bats that concept around a bit. It’s a fun concept and a fun tune, so I guess in that respect, this song is success. Hooray. In reality, I wonder if it would be cool if life had reruns. Knowing what’s going to happen in advance would either be real boring or real exciting. I’ll likely never know. Enjoy your “Reruns.”

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words – 97 “The Price of Write”

As I seem to endlessly mention, the mandate of writing a bunch of original tunes for this here 365 exercise has got me in a state of prolific hysteria. So, I wrote 24 tunes in less than 24 hours yesterday/the day before and now, today, they’re all typed up. Before you know it, a rabid audience of 365-aholics will be snorting these suckers like its going out of style. Is it? Not for me to decide. Maybe, it’s coming IN style and it’s because I’m starting it. If sock hops and pole sitting could take the country by storm in the Roaring 20’s, writing huge batches of songs could easily be next. Either way, I’m not scared to be a trend-setter.


So, after I wrote the first half of this most recent batch, I offered a few cautionary words to would-be tune-bingers. Here, a beleaguered me warns you, the 365-lover of what can truly happen when you get all zany on the songwriting tip as I have in recent week. Love you.

No comments: