Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 201

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 201 "America the Beautiful” by Katharine Lee Bates and Samuel A. Ward


I attended a military memorial service at Fort Rosecrans earlier today. Dave Sparling was an institution at my Open Mic our first three years at Winston’s. He brought five characters (at least) to life, The Old Hermit Named Dave, Reverend Dave, Sacrilegious Dave, The Cowboy Wordsmith, and Guantanamo Dave. He recited The News of the Week and a poem each week during my show and he was very grateful. He let me know each week, looked me right in the eyes and said so. He was as far left as you can be. So left he butted up against right. His family invited me to this service. Today was his first birthday since his passing. My wife and I were humbled and flattered to be included.

While I was there the bugler played taps and they did the folding of the flag ceremony. It was deeply moving. I was profoundly sad, not for Dave and his family, as much as for the generations and generations of people who sacrificed their lives and all the pain and suffering they all battled through in life. I wish there was more I could do to help diminish the wars that plague the world. I am keenly that aware that wars have saved the world many times from genocide, slavery and other atrocities. I like to believe that one day we can outgrow these methods of settling strife and evolve to something less physically and emotionally destructive to those whose lives it envelops. Defending the country is extremely honorable. Service people deserve beautiful lives too. One could argue they deserve them the most. Whenever this is possible, it should be so. This too, has a domino effect.

That’s part of my American Dream. Food for all. Kindness. Sharing. Teamwork. Peace. Respect. Unity. Love.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 201 “Army Dave” by Jefferson Jay and Dave Sparling

So I came home from this Memorial Service at Cabrillo National Monument highly inspired. I was moved by some words Dave’s wife, Peggi, his brother, Jim and his sister, Janice read in their eulogy. They said he truly found his passion late in life, performing at programs like my own. I know it meant a lot to him. That’s why I was invited to this event in the first place, but to hear it there and then in the surroundings of all these spirits in the military ceremony… It made me want to do something more. So I did.

Immediately upon returning home, I scrounged around for the first Dave poem I could find. He’d given me some over the years after his performances. The one I found was “Army Dave.” I picked a key. I made it D. For Dave. And the song, like Dave’s performances, was history. Current living breathing history, like all the love for Dave, from his friends and family, at Fort Rosecrans, earlier today. Like all that stuff every day.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 201 “Cherish”

I think I’m transforming into a self-help preacher. I don’t know, a Positivist. I don’t know what’s come over me, but it’s happening. So, now I give nice words of “wisdom” every day, pep talks. How-I-se—it rap sessions….

I assumed I’d crack jokes a lot. I do sometimes. I guess viewing this, is viewing me.  The 365 is a window into my world and a lot of what’s on my mind just comes out of me. There’s little time to choose. It takes all the time for this, just to do. There’s a wonderful life to live, too.

With this in mind, cherish, everything, everyone, everywhere, everywhy you do. It all matters. Boo.


No comments: