Friday, July 1, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 190

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 190 "Strawberry Moon" by Jefferson Jay

A couple of weeks ago I was relaxing watching Dodgers baseball listening to the wit and wisdom of the legendary Vin Scully. At age 88, Vin has called Dodger games since they were the Brooklyn Dodgers back in 1950. Awesome. And he’s still the best ever at it even at 88. So, at some point, Vin’s broadcast showed a beautiful shot of the “Strawberry Moon” over Chavez Ravine. I got out of my bed where I rested and my wife and I stared into the sky at the first "Strawberry Moon" in 70 years. I thought it sounded like something from a song.

So the next morning I arrived at work early and set up in our little gazebo and pulled this little gem out of my head for you. I almost forgot it existed for a sec before I stumbled on it. Now I want to learn it. That involves making sure I remember the chords, D, Bm, F#7, G7, or something like that. I think I tried a change at some point too. Then I have to transcribe all the lyrics. Maybe a few adjustments later, I’ll have a tune. In any case, this video posting here is to help me make that process a bit smoother. It’s easier to find Cover 190 on YouTube then it is to dig it out of my massive mound of movies in my compubox. Love to you. I look forward to finishing "Strawberry Moon" and then playing it again and again forever.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 190 "Elvira" by The Oak Ridge Boys

“Elvira” brings back a million warm feelings from when I was a boy. This song is catchy and irresistible. My special folks I work with must agree ‘cause like me, they can’t stop themselves from singing along whenever I bust it out.

I can’t recall but I winder if the The Mistress of the Night, Elvira was one of the first ladies I thought was sexy; Charo, Ginger and MaryAnn from Gilligan’s Island and Elvira had to all be in the running. I liked the ladies from The Magic Garden too, but I was younger then and I think that was more in pure and sweet little kid way. Whatever that meant. The Oak Ridge Boys, I learned, are still on the road touring and singing “Elvira” no doubt, all these years later. Hail, gentlemen. Way to ride the road and keep getting the job done.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 190 "Soul Man’s 98th Birthday Salute"

When you’ve been friends with someone as long as I’ve been pals with Soul Man, it’s hard to say simple things, like “I appreciate you,” especially publicly with the proper scope. I met SM in 2001 I believe and we hit off about as well as an 82 year old guy and a 26-year old guy could. Which is very well. We hung, did gigs. He joined my band, We were called Brainstorm at the time, but essentially it was The Jefferson Jay Band. When we officially changed the name to that, he was there then too.

I started going to Soul Man’s birthday parties shortly after we became friends. They were always big festive events, kind of like bigger versions of what it was like hanging out with The Soulmeister any other day. He enjoys life. That’s how you get to 98. I’ve witnessed.

I was thinking about digging up some clip of him from 8 years ago when I used to film stuff all the time. There are tons of those in the first 365. I decided against it. Then I started looking for pictures. There are so many. Too many to pick from. So, I picked a day, one day, that sums up The Soul Man and what he’s all about as much as any other I’ve shared with him. He cooked Filipino feasts for our friends and I on my 30th and 40th birthdays. He drove with me to my wedding in 2014. He was one of my groomsmen.

The date, I had to look it up, we February 1, 2007. Three years later to the day, I wrote one of my all-time main tunes, “February.” I think… On Feb, 1 2007. my band and I drove to The Sunset Strip and checked off one of the few things on my Lifelong List of Things to Do. I prefer that to Bucket List. Not that it flows off the tongue as well, but it’s less morbid. Any Soul Bro rolled up with the four-piece band I brought to that gig. And he stole the show. The band of 18 year-olds that played after us asked if he would sit in for their whole set, because he’s so cool. He said yes and he rocked it. Hard.

In an unrelated but equally awesome story, the drummer at that gig’s family found him through me and postings I did about that gig for the first 365. They then introduced him to a grown child he never knew he had. Are you kidding me??!?!?!? Life is zany. That’s how Soul Man still sips IPA and shoots tequila at age 98. He fought Nazis. He defended America in Korea and he calls me the best friend he’s ever had. Extremely humbling.

I love Soul Man. You’re the best. Enjoy some pictures from that great night and a bit from a really old version of one my hippest tunes from back when, “FATSO,” before Soul Man even joined the Band. Thanks to all my band-mates present and past for everything. I still appreciate you very, very much. Hail to His Soulaciousness on his 98th

Oh yeah, one last thing. Here's a bunch of links to videos I had filmed at Guiro Grass's show at The Athenaeum last Spring. Guiro Grass is Travis Oliver and The Soul Man. He still has it. Check it and see. Peace.


No comments: