Sunday, October 2, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 283

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals– 283 “The Vin Scully Tribute”


One of the great artists of the last 100 years hung up his microphone moments ago. The humble brilliance of Vin Scully can never be duplicated. Those of us who savored our opportunity to enjoy his wit and wisdom will be forever enhanced by the experience. He thanked the fans and insisted he needed us more than we needed him. It is bigger than baseball. The world needed and still needs folks like Vin to show us what matters most in the world.

It is not baseball that matters most. It never was. It is respect. It eloquence. It is communication, family, appreciation. It is humility and gratitude and transcendent perspective. It is wishing the best for everyone and doing your best at whatever it is you do.

On September 23, 2016, I had the honor of attending my first game at Dodger Stadium. I entered as dignitaries approached the mic and shared their love and respect for Vin Scully. Vin sat and smiled, and rubbed the occasional tear from his eye as the Mayor of Los Angeles, the Commissioner of Major League Baseball, legendary Dodger lefties Sandy Koufax and Clayton Kershaw, Oscar-winner Kevin Costner took turns honoring him. Finally he spoke. As always, it was perfect.

Tears fell on scorecards in the crowd at Chavez Ravine. The sun set and no one noticed as silence filled the venerable ballpark. I sat and jotted down some words. I picked a key, D, for Dodgers. Today, while Vin’s final game was underway, I pulled out those words and played some pretty chords on my Gibson. I wound up and released a melody, high and outside, inside and low, right down the middle, I can only hope. It was all of these things. Just like Vin. Sharing a century of history essentially, each day, all between talk of strikes and balls.

I am humbled to have heard and delighted I decided to listen to as much of you as possible from the time I got that MLB.TV four years ago, or so. It was a perpetual education and a constant reminder of the beauty of the game I love. When Vin wrapped his last good-bye and wished us a great a final time, MLB.TV summed it up succinctly with a flashy graphic. “Thank you for watching. The game has ended. Yes it has. Yes it has.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The regular season is over. Yankee baseball will hibernate. Vin has retired. The play-offs continue. On another majestic October day, baseball again demonstrated why it is out national pastime and will always be The Greatest American Game. Go Dodgers.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 283 “Fantasy Football Frustration”

And then there’s this. Ugh. I somehow overlooked the concussions and broken bodies of the gridiron greats when friends asked my wife if she wanted to play Fantasy Footbnall this year. She immediately answered, “Absolutely.” What choice did I have left?

Leanne, my wife, hates football, or she did before she had a rooting interest. I couldn’t let her play and hang on every play in every game and sit idly by, disinterested. No, we are competitive when it comes to games in this household. This meant I had to play. And I had to win. And my win, I mean do better than her.

It had been a perfectly fine 18 years since my “The Future Champions of This League” took down a terrific team led by the iconic Michael J. Warrington in the Finals. I have abstained since 1998 and had no plans of joining the litany of gamers dabbling in these duels. So much for well-made plans.

So here on a Sunday, with nothing in the world to object to. I bang my head against the wall instead. Why did I cut Matt Ryan? Matt Jones? “Cause he’s a Redskin and they have a racist name? That’s not his fault! Why did I think Matt Stafford would have a better game against the Bears then Matt Ryan would against the Panthers? Why is every body named Matt?????!?!?!?!?!?! Yes, it is maddening and about as irrelevant as anything could be. I felt better when I couldn’t watch guilt-free ‘cause I was concerned about player safety. Ugh. Ugh, indeed. When is Spring Training? How many weeks ‘til mid-February…

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 283 “(Won’t You Come Home) Bill Bailey” by Hughie Cannon

One day, not too long ago, I was walking down to the store to get a beverage. On the way back, there is the house that has a little “library” of sorts in the front yard. I noticed a book teaching folks how to play songs on the AutoHarp. I have an AutoHarp. I don’t use it too much, but I figured what the heck, let’s bring this book home and see what she says.

Today, cover time came and first thing I found was this book, whatever it’s called. It’s a very old book. I cracked it open and took some stabs on a few tunes with my guitar. It was pretty fin, but I didn’t find any that checked the box until I got to “(Won’t You Come Home) Bill Bailey.” A brief bit of research lets you know that Patsy Cline, Aretha Franklin, Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald played this tune. Some fella named Arthur Collins had a number one hit with it in 1902. I didn’t even know that that charts ands hits back then. What on earth did the listen to them on. How did anybody know? Maybe they read about it in the paper? A little more looking uncovered the sheet music for that back then. You can see it here…



That is some awful racist stuff. Yuck. I could break that down for a whole hunk of time, but I’ll pass. No need to deconstruct century-old ignorance and race hate. I prefer to enjoy the day and this tune. If it’s racist past, didn’t dissuade the Muppets, the Smurfs, The Jetsons and a million other giants from the history books, I too, can teach and old song a new trick. Love and respect will get you everywhere. Vin Scully knew this. Change is omnipresent and people can always grow and learn new ways. It’s never too late. No way.




No comments: