Saturday, October 1, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 282

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals– 282 “Time on the Record (2033)”


Hello my friends, Last night featured another great bunch of epic performances at Acoustic Evenings at The Athenaeum. Charbra, Annie Rettic and my newest amiga, Patricia Jetton, the lead singer for the great reggae group HIRIE, all played great. Deeply rewarding stuff.

It is going to be a great night for the women of California acoustic amazingness. I am fired up. Tired out too though. Oh, the dichotomy. Here, I rocked out on some Chain of Fools.” Folks, let’s never act like fools. May we carry ourselves with grace, respect, humility, and love always. Peace.

A few weeks back, I got an odd burst of inspiration as I prepared to head for bed. I wound up writing about six tunes. The first couple stayed in my head and I typed them up and played them for you promptly. The rest kind of faded further back in my mind, only surfacing now when I needed a quick original. Surprise. This tune is good. At least I like it. Subjectivity reigns. Some people like Trump…

So this morning, when I rediscovered “Time on the Record (2033)” I was more than pleasantly surprised. I even played it three times out in the October heat. It gets hot in San Diego this time of year. I’ll have to type this number up soon and assimilate it into the collective. Hail George Takei.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 282 “Wake Up Little Susie” by The Everly Brothers

“Wake Up Little Susie” is popular number amongst the seniors at the Special Needs place I work. Probably cause there’s like four Susans, but also ‘cause it’s a catchy happy tune from a simpler time. Ahhhh, a simpler time. Don’t get me wrong. I love me some now. But simpler sounds so soothing… Like a dip in a lake. When clouds were clouds and phones were tethered to walls and desks with long, coily cords. I like to reminisce here and there, but the world moves forward. There is no place to go, but up. Onward and upward. I love that phrase.

A dab of research taught me that Felice and Boudleaux Bryant wrote “Wake Up Little Susie” in 1957. Pretty neat. I think those dudes wrote “Rocky Top, Tennessee” too. Let me check. Yes indeedy. They don’t call me Mr. 365 for nothing. Well, actually, they don’t call me Mr. 365… yet.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 282 “The Portugalia Sign”

What once was a beacon to lure folks from the streets into the adventure, is now a hunk of scrap metal I hope O don’t have to pay someone to take. Just no room anymore for the old girl and the line to take here is shorter than I thought. It’s OK. It was fun having her here awhile anyway. A trophy. A souvenir. Well, we can only live in the past for so many moments. We should never carry grudges or any unsavory memories any further than we absolutely have to. Nothing but love here but, I left Portugalia April 20, 2010 I believe. I will always be there with those friends in some spot in my heart and mind. It is truly a spiritual space to me. That said, anybody want a giant sign? Free! Lord, the times, always changing. So blessed to still be in the game.


No comments: