Thursday, October 20, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 301

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals– 301 “The Edginess of Youth”



Some years back I found myself at a college football game. Free tickets I believe. My friend produces the KGB Sky Show, a local annual event where they blow up awesome fireworks along with some rockin’ music. Because it was college football, many youths surrounded us on all sides and I couldn’t help but hear their collegiate conversations. Let’s just say they weren’t super scholarly. I could hardly take it honestly, after awhile. So I diverted myself by writing this song, right there at my seat, about “The Edginess of Youth.” It’s a song and it helped me make it through the 4th quarter, so hooray it. College seems so long ago when I think back on the day I wrote this song.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 301 “Put a Little Love in Your Heart” by Jackie DeShannon


Some of the folks I work with were getting pumped up to do a singing/sign language version of this jam recently. I had fun playing it with them and here we are. I never heard of  Jackie DeShannon, but that doesn't mean she's not amazing. She wrote this jam with her brother. Isn't that nice. Hail Jackie and feel the love. That's what its all about.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 301 “Happy Birthday Don”



Today would be the 42nd birthday of one of my main men of all-time, Don Truesdail. Here, I share a few thoughts on the impact he had in my life and how grateful I am for our continuing connection. Don was a big part of the original Operation 365. This "Words" section was an "Archives" section where I shared many performances from some of my fine friends, filmed at shows I put on back then. I made a point to share all the video I have of Don, aka "The Parlor City Bard." I covered his music, told our story in the blogs and essentially did everything in my power to see to it that his legacy lives on.

Just last week, friends and family of Don's, tributed the man and his music at an event called Don Fest. I wish I could have been there but I am so thrilled they did that and all got to experience and celebrate Don's life's work. Well, I'll leave it at that for now. So much has already been said, but hail, my brother, and if you want to know a little more real quick, just click, 'cause I tell a story or two in this little homage to my friend, “Happy Birthday Don.”


No comments: