Saturday, October 15, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 296

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals– 296 “69”


Every day’s a cause to celebrate. They’re all red-letter days if you let ‘em be. Today, I’m a whoopin’ and hollerin’ ‘cause there’s only 69 days left in this here 365. This little numerical fact had me all inspired so I did what I do. I busted out my unnamed guitar and let the creative juices flow. When it was sang and done, a new tune was born and it sounded a whole heck of a lot like this.

Last night, I’d be remise to not mention, was another incredible evening of music at La Jolla’s Athenaeum Music & Arts Library. I am proud to produce what is truly becoming one San Diego’s finest music series, Acoustic Evenings at The Athenaeum with Jefferson Jay. Every night in this city, fabulous acts, national, international and local take to stages and do amazing. Honestly, far more than our million or so constituents can take in. Regardless, Jimmy Patton, Enrique Platas, Danielle Summerville, Case Ainley, Jimmy Dugan and George Narvaez joined me to put on a show for the ages for those blessed to be a part of it.

I have not been in a room where so many minds were blown in many years. Everybody played brilliantly, beautifully, but what Jimmy and Enrique do is so far beyond what can be believed. Even seeing it, does very little to remove the mysticism from their magic. Wow. Compliments were flying in all directions. Special things are happening here in this city. If the world were ever to find out, they’ be enraged with us for hoarding these sublime talents and allowing them to remain in obscurity in a world so desperately in need of proper inspiration. In the meantime, we musically, spiritually, and creatively soldier on, making our own personally epiphanies in lieu of any meaningful response from the public-at-large.

That said, I am not complaining, quite the contrary in fact. In a world where so many long for authenticity, organic experiences and art and experiences that are meaningful and true, we have more of these that we know what do with. We are blessed in this regard and we remain open, available and interested and sharing what makes our space and our selves so special with the rest of the waiting world. I hope when they discover us, we’re still around to share our sentient nature with their souls. Thanks to all who came and/or played at the show. That’s truly what living and sharing spiritually rewarding moments on Earth is all about.

Last night the theme of our show was “thinking outside the box.” I shared the fact that producing CDs forced me to find “outside the box” solutions to the types of technical problems that invariably pop up in the course of making a record. I talked about how our afore-mentioned musicals built “outside the box thinking” into their approach to doing what they do. Then to match my words with actions, I improvised a song for the audience to start the show. I even let them pick the tropics. Would you believe they had me sing about “Trump” and “Hillary…” and “gardening.” So I did, I think I even managed to avoid alienating anyone entirely. Hooray! So, here I did it again today, this time choosing my own topic of interest, the fact that as of today only 69 days remain in this labor of life, known as the Operation 365 2.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 296 “Oh, Brett Walling”


It was a Sunday night, about an era ago. A select group of us were hanging out enjoying the regular Sunday night  act at the venue I called home for years, Portugalia. Things commonly got crazy at The Port, which was one of the things that made it such a fun and interesting place to be. Our act this night was duo from the rock outfit, Chimney Fish, singer/songwriter Brett Walling and guitarist Jeff Shaefer.  Those two really knew how to whoop it up and some of these unsung Sundays were among the most memorable nights of the whole thing for those fortunate enough to be in attendance.

One night Brett was really on fire. He broke a string, “borrowed” Jeff’s guitar to finish the set, which he did but not before I encouraged him to sing this little song I wrote at that moment. That song is this song, “Oh, Brett Walling,” which I reproduce here under far more sedate circumstances. Best wishes, Brett. I, for one, will be marking out at the Chimney Fish reunion, whenever the universe deems it time.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 296 “Destruction Device” by Justin Mills


“Destruction Device” is a song I intended to play as soon as I began this second 365. Justin Mills is a friend of mine, formerly of Open Mic. I even enjoyed the pleasure of backing him on bass for a piece of time. I sang a song I wrote for he and his new wife Raquel, some months earlier in this endeavor. I love Justin’s songwriting. Even though, for most intents and purposes, he is retired as a musician, I can’t allow his incredible body of work to completely fade into the past. I love it far too much. And I am not the only one. Justin made quite a musical impression on many of talented folks who were gathered back in the Portugalia Era.

I love this song. Who knows what details Justin had in his head with this metaphor of a “Destruction Device.” There are so many dysfunctional parts of the world, it’s hard to guess and that number has only multiplied since he wrote this song years ago. It sure resonated to me in regards to our current 2016 presidential election. I don’t know what could be more destructive than the empty rhetoric and transparent corruption that illustrates this battle from all sides.

In any case, I tried to bring some of the snide spirit Justin brought his satire and I hope you all enjoy his brilliance as much as I do. Justin, if you read this, I am hereby issuing the first invitation to the ten-year anniversary show of our 2008 “24 Hours of Free Music” masterpiece of a concert/day. I have no idea exactly where or when it will be. I guess there’s a chance it won’t even happen, but I hope it does and I hope if it does, you decide to unretire once again and honor us with your array of incredible songs. Unsung humans everywhere folks. What a gift to exist in these cosmos, surrounded by millions of anonymous stars.






No comments: