Monday, September 5, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 279

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 285 Perry Lee Witt "Wanted Dead or Alive" - Bon Jovi 4-20-10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT3xkdObeho


Perry is a super nice guy who started coming out to my Portugalia Open Mic in the last few months before it ended. He was kind enough to frequent it during its less slightly memorable incarnations that followed. One of the main reasons, I'd be psyched to get back in the Open Mic game, is to hang with a cat like Perry on a regular basis. Being a kind individual goes a long, long way. Perry busts out covers most of the time on stage, really strong rendition of lots of different covers. Here, he shares a nice version of Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive," recorded on my final Portugalia Open Mic, as it turned out, from April 20, 2010. That 4/20 is a pretty big holiday here in Ocean Beach. It's no Labor Day, cause they don't give you work off, but it's close. Real close.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 285 "Cowtown" by Matt Resichling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwrjAiBeJ_8


Matt Reischling is a super good buddy of mine for a long time. I remember wandering the campus of SDSU as a new grad student about 10 years ago, I would see posters for his band The Marinators, as I was hanging for my band. We met at the Twiggs Open Mic. I instantly gravitated toward his super catchy "Vietnam Vet" tune and his other song about nail biting. We became fast friends, pioneering Bock Rock, a style of music in which classic tunes are reprised with chicken lyrics. We performed The Beatles" I'm Only Sleeping" at the Open Mic at LeStat's. After Matt became my roommate for 2002, we grew even closer, compiling unforgettable memories in all sorts of zany adventures.

He has lived in L.A. for the last number years, just today relocating to an organic farm in Sonoma, where he will counterbalancing years of fun in Los Angeles. He is returning to a "Cowtown," much life the one he sang about three years when I first heard this tune. Matt and my old bass player/roommate/friend Damon, were chilling in Arizona with Damon's folks back in '08. We had a blast. We went to a party, wandered Scottsdale, laughing about the numerous huge horse statues, and played "Cowtown," a lot. I believe there is a video of one of these performances and the Operation 365 is currently involved in negotiations to bring that footage here for your enjoyment.

It was a blast playing "Cowtown," and reminiscing about that weekend in '08. I am a sucker for nostalgia, and an even bigger sucker for friendship. Anyone who really knows me can tell ya. Hope to play "Cowtown," and see you soon, my good buddy. Good luck getting dirt under your nails and organic chow in your belly. Peace.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 285 "Live Life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGf3IkjeF7M


"Live Life" was written during one of my recent five song bursts. I'm pretty sure this is from the burst I wrote myself, as opposed to the one I did with Leanne and Josh. Strike that. Reverse it, as one wise man once said. Yes, I am now fairly certain that I wrote with Josh and Leanne. It was the 5th of the 5 songs. I remember now definitely. Leanne gleaned the "lark" from her John Irving book, "The Cider House Rules," and I used all the extra chord progressions to make the instrumental section of this one. Good times. Happy Labor Day. Biiiiiiiiiiiii. (That my version of "Bye," said in an appropriately friendly (friendly in a Liberace-ish sort of way) tone of voice, reserved only for people I am really happy to be talking to.)

No comments: