Thursday, September 15, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 289

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 295 Sene Africa 4-15-09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oWoczDeBE


Here are my friends, Sene Africa, playing at my show on April 15, 2009. This was their opener that night. Maybe I'll post more from this set the next few days. I am excited for tonight. My band, The Jefferson Jay Band, is playing at Winston's here in Ocean Beach. Winston's is a classic spot with a great stage. A lot of my friends are joining us, Some Guy (the artist formerly known as Carlos Soriano), Melissa Eisler, Brett Walling (formerly of Chimney Fish), Charbra, Destructo Bunny and myself, What a great night! And it's free! Thanks to Sene Africa for bring awesome. Peace.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 295 "Just As The Tide Was Flowing" by Ralph Vaughan Williams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXuUapzDKFQ


"Just As The Tide Was Flowing" was a song we sang in Don Wonder's chorus class in high school. I remember it was yesterday. Scotty Baslaw and I standing there with our hands clasped like that. What fun it was. Scotty and I still bust it out from time to time when I'm New York City, harmonies and all. The 10,000 Maniacs covered it as well. I am not 100% sure Ralph Vaughan Williams wrote it. It was from a long time ago and the internet was a little iffy, but I think it was Ralph. Hail Scotty Baslaw.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 295 "Radio Blueballs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM_nl998aqo


So this new song, "Radio Blueballs," pertains to a little situation I was hesitant to address here in the 365, but I think we are officially at the absolutely nothing at this point so here we go. Radio, as a medium, is on life support and has been for some time. Like making CDs, dreaming of being successful in the radio is a dream of decades past. Even the people who run radi, long ago, stopped seeking out, new talent, to provide a different voice on the air. I think the powers that be, think radio is too scary, They can hypnotize with naked ladies and drivel on TV, but on the radio, the thoughts get right in your head and you can really get some folks thinking.

I kind of resigned mentally and physically form the radio world years ago. I could clearly see the writing on the wall. There is enough disappointment in this world without barking up the tree of a medium where even the folks in charge aren't willing to try something different to make things happen. That is the kind of person I am. That is what I do. Anyway, with all that background out of the way, I can get to the actual story here.

So, although, I pretty gave on radio, despite the fact, that I know I'm very good at it, I have one friend, who never gave up on me. He has been in the ear of program directors, show producers, general mangers, anyone who will listen really, and telling then for years, that I can add entertaining content to their shows, many of which are unlistenably bad. I am a sports radio guy. Yes, I love me some sports. On my way to teach last year, I would listen to "The Scott and BR Show" on xx1090 AM, here in SD. They were good. Funny. Refreshing. My friend got the ear of the producer and now, as it tends to happen, we've been going back and forth for months. Yes, months. In radio these days, it takes months to do much of anything at all, and even then it tends to not happen at the last minute, pretty much wasting everybody's time. No offense, John Pratt.

So, last Wednesday, I had alerted my whole wide world on the various internet and personal platforms that I would be appearing on "The Scott and BR Show," the following morning and playing my Chargers Preseason Prediction song, just like they'd asked. I got call early Thursday saying Scott was sick and we should reschedule. I said, "Fine." I was all practiced and ready to go, but these things happen. So they rescheduled for tomorrow, Friday of the following week. I said OK and I wrote a second song, just 'cause the other song, felt so "last week," to me. I told way less people, cause it's kind of embarrassing when you tell people you're gonna be on the radio, and they listen and you're not. This morning, they cancelled... again.

OK, still not mad. I'd be disappointed more if I was surprised at all, but I'm not. Like I said, these things happen. In radio, very little happens. Stations just slowly die and then come back as other stations with the same people who helped ruin a couple stations in town as their saviors. Do I sound bitter? Maybe. I'm bitter 'cause radio (in general) is ruined, not as much 'cause I don't get to be on it. The good news is they want to reschedule again for next week. The bad news, each time they reschedule, my excitement and faith that it will actually happen, diminish. It's real low now.

No big deal though. "Radio Blueballs" was my song that made light of all that stuff from last week. It's a talkin' blues and I did a bunch of research to get all these details straight. (Did you know the term blueballs was used in this context as far back 1916? Well, that's what wikipedia told me.) I had this ditty set aside as a back-up for my theoretical appearance tomorrow. It features tons of the jokes that are way inside. If you don't listen to or care about "The Scott and BR Show" at all, than this song probably ain't gonna make too much sense, but I'm sick of writing these songs and not using 'em, so there it is. I'm sure there's a few jokes for everyone in there. At least one or two. Oh. I sing this song with a bit of a drawl. I think talkin' blues sound better that way. Like you're not in a big hurry to fit all them words in. Shout out to Woody Guthrie.

Thank you to Gordo the dog for being a great houseguest this past 10 days and letting me use your balls for this video. Peace y'all. See ya when I do.

Boy, do I love ranting. That's why I'm so good on the radio.

No comments: