Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 294

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 300 Don Truesdail "The Bastards" - 10-27-08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtuuQ-osR6E


Here is Don Truesdail, playing another of his many masterpieces, "The Bastards," at The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library in La Jolla, CA at my Acoustic Evenings at The Athenaeum Series. I love Don and it is a thrill to be able to share his music with the world around us. Here, he is filmed from the audience by his beloved wife, Nancy. I was very proud of Don for his fine work preparing for and performing at this gig. He and I had a blast practicing for the medley, he worked up for the end of the show. I miss his company, but I cherish the presence of his spirit all around me at all times. Dig his depth here with "The Bastards." Don was a thinking man, an artist. He had things to say and points to make. Blessed are folks like us to have songs to write to get these feelings out.

"The Bastards" will appear on Don's 3rd CD. After Don passed, Nancy, and brave and strong a woman as there is, embarked on completing Don's life's work. She has produced his first two concept albums thus far and I am humbled to support her in this endeavor. We will be working to finish his 3rd CD soon. Many favorite Don classics will appear on it. You can check and or all of this any time you want at truesdailstudio.com. I highly recommend that you do. Peace

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 300 "Not My Place (In The 9 to 5 World)" by The Ramones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD9us4Lg13s


Not My Place (In The 9 to 5 World)" is a song I loved in high school. I was turned on to The Ramones by a friend who was in drama with me. We would crank it up in his car and feel fired up. I used to use it to fire me up for my performances back then. Before the musicals or the plays, I would sit in my room listen to it loud, and get myself jacked up for the performance to follow.

I post this today from a high school classroom, on my lunch break. Yes, school is back in session I would never have believed, back in high school, that this day would lie ahead for me. I went and learned the tune. The sentiment in it still resonate within me, completely. I go to work 'cause I need to make money. I still dream of doing something much greater in my life than trying to help kids learn some Spanish words. It is not that that work has no value. Quite the contrary, it does. It is just that I have no passion for it. I can do it and I do do it, but I dream of the day when I can say good-bye forever to these menial tasks and truly sink my teeth into a career of creativity and contribution to the world I am blessed to be a part of.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 300 "A 300 Game"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnA-x_r-vAI


When one considers "300" and illustrious achievements, nothing stands out more than the fine sport of bowling, in which "300" constitutes perfection. Life always offers a less tidy version of perfection, that is if you believe everything happens for a reason. Today is Day 300 of this here Operation 365.

Baseball is my favorite sport and 300 is a pretty big number in statistics of the national past time. The benchmark for great pitchers when it comes to wins on 300. Good hitters gets hits 30% of the time which give them a .300 average. The gold standard for strikeouts for a pitcher is also 300. There was also that movie, "300," I didn't see, which was supposed to be good, but as I understand it, had nothing to do with baseball.

I am pleased with this accomplishment. Just getting through a day, period, is something to crow about. To have been able to produce this work 300 days in a row, is a feat that I am proud of. God willing I will find my way to the end of this here 365. What life holds in store for us, it is both humbling and a mystery.

No comments: