Monday, September 26, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 300

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 306 Charbra "Oh Mama" 9-15-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtQBE1Dfno


A couple weeks back, I posted Charbra's first ever version of their tune, "Oh Mama." In fact, I believe they wrote it earlier that very day in 2008. Today, I am posting their most recent live version of the same tune. I have a special attachment to the number, as it was I got to play in the side project shared by Charbra, myself, and Justin Mills, known as The Greens of Mind.

It was a special night at Winston's a few weeks back, September 15, 2011. Everyone was in great spirits and played wonderfully. There was hope in the air that our wondrous sub-culture could rejuvenate it self and who's to say its not doing just that. My first Open Mic, last Wednesday was a rousing success and I know when would-be regulars, Charbra, Melissa Eisler, and Destructo Bunny join the party this week, it's only going to get that much more raucous. I can't wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7KSkZxt_zo

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 306 "With or Without You" by U2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHDwsZ_d28


Everybody loves U2. Do they? I do. I mean you, too. I love you too. Do you undertand what I'm saying. I love you too. Yes, me and you. I do. You. I love you. Thank you. U2. "With or Without You?" Yes. That too. Phew.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 306 "Cowboys vs. Rex Grossman (A Celebration Song)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsB38Z4XPGc


So my CD release is 11-11-11. I need to finish the CD. It's been mostly done for a year, but now its time to make the final tweaks, the improvements you can only make after a year of not listening. So I went over to JT's. It's Monday night and the Cowboys are playing the Redskins, but duty calls, and this CD needs to get done.

I go to JTs. We listen to "Good Graces," the first song on the album. We do a few things to dial it in. We catch up. It takes awhile. we spent a lot of time dialing in those mixes. We're not about to do too much haphazardly. To do much at all, is possibly doing too much.

So I get back in the car, and hope to tune in to the last few minutes of the game or something. Hopefully, the Cowboys aren't down by too much. They say these 2-0 Redskins may be pretty god. I haven't been paying them too much attention. It's been years since they were anything to notice. They've been bad. So have we. There's not question. So I get into my car ans turn the radio on. I'not gonna lie. I taught Kindergarten today. I was a little foggy. I heard them say, "That Dan Bailey is a revelation. The Cowboys lead 18-16. He is 6 for 6 on field goals for the day." What?!?, I thought. The Cowboys are leading... Out of the mist, I thought I heard, Rex Grossman has the chance to lead 'em back..."

I thought I must be dreaming. I couldn't have heard that right. It was too good to be...

"Rex Grossman has the chance, plenty of time, 1:40 left on the clock..." No way. Rex Grossman was really the quarterback for the Washington Redskins and the Cowboys had the lead, at home, with 1 minute and 40 seconds to go. Wake me. This can't be happening. I turned and listened. A loss of yards. A completion. I thought, "We are definitely going to win. They have Rex Grossman. I couldn't ask for a better... Complete confidence." Rex fumbled. Anthony Spencer. ANTHONY! SPENCER! (I wrote a paper as a freshman at The University of Massachusetts in 1993 purporting that my Cowboys and the Cowboys destinies are somehow linked.)

Rex fumbled. Rex Grossman ("not a Jew" - Adam Sandler, 1994) fumbled. Cowboys took over on downs. Won without scoring a touchdown. Tony Romo kneeled down on the field at Cowboys Stadium. Apparently, they played bad, I didn't see a second of it. I just caught what I needed to catch. Things are turning round nicely. I had a great day today. Everything feels right. Enjoyed an IPA or two with Justin Mills before the studio. Discussed how unpredictable life always is. Reflected. It as beautiful. We smiled.

It's a gift to be alive. I was psyched driving down the road. back into Ocean Beach celebrating. Drifting past the Redskins fans on Bacon St., at Winston's the home to all the Redskins fans in town. Kids in Chris Cooley jerseys, looking down. I was basking. Life is a triumph, somehow.

Did I mention that Redskins was the most racist name in sports?

Perhaps, I have a unique sense of humor...

No comments: