Saturday, September 24, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 298

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 304 "All You Need Is Love/Scarborough Fair/Canticle/Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" - 10-27-08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcnHFMPz5AQ


Long story. So in the last week I've shared Don Truesdail's set from October 27, 2008 at The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library in La Jolla, CA in the Archives. This was my first offering of the Acoustic Evenings at The Athenauem Series. Many amazing artists performed in this Fall 2008 series including Jenn Grinels, Sene Africa, Will Edwards, Hugh Gaskins, Rhythm Turner and Robin Henkel. It was awesome. That first go -round, I was orchestrating jams in which all the performers joined each other on stage for a number at the end of the show. Don was intrigued by the possibilities here and arranged a really cool medley of these tunes, "All You Need Is Love/Scarborough Fair/Canticle/Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)," two Beatles tunes (Lennon/McCartney) and a Traditional song, popularized a generation ago by Simon & Garfunkel.

Don weaved them together. Interesting to me, it was, that he decided I should play mandolin for this musical exercise. I went with it. I didn't really play mandolin, but I did own one and Don seemed confident I could do it, so I tried. Since his passing, I've picked up several instrument and I cite his influence as the reason why. We spent an entire weekend day rehearsing prior to the show, working on harmonies and parts over and over and over again. Eventually, we broke the mandolin somehow and our attempt to Gorilla Glue back together were a comical, Keystone Kops adventure. Eddie at Mark's Gutar Exchange got us a new nut and set us back on track. Things went smoothly from then, until...

Don and Nancy were early and eager. Carlos came later and cranky. Mary was Mary. Carlos and Mary, who happen to share a birthday, got coffee and came back refreshed. They were willing to do the medley, but didn't approach with the same professional hunger, Don desired. Don didn't say anything, but Nancy said afterward, he was unpleased. He spent a lot of time and took it seriously and felt that they went through the motions.... or something like that. I think perhaps he had unreasonable expectations, but he just wanted it be great. He believed it could be. Maybe with a rehearsal, it would have. But, it was still cool, Mary stumbled over the recorder cord. We put or arms around each other and swayed back and forth. It was a fine end to a fun show, if you ask me, although I admit I have re-watched it yet.

These Athenaeum clips are the last things I have of Don that I haven't seen, so even as I've prepared and posted them over the last week, I haven't watched any of the songs straight through. I practice delayed gratification and once I watch these clips, then they're all gone. So, I'll probably watch this one, just to make sure no one will be too upset with me sharing this performance, but I'm going to do it regardless. There are no more Don Truesdail videos to use instead and the folks who love the Don should have the chance to to enjoy and welcome in to their heart, the footage I'm blessed to share.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 304 Jefferson Jay Band "Amethyst" - 9-15-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHoVrE_Oo4A


The archives today take us Winston's Beach Club last Thursday night, September 15, 2011. My Jefferson Jay band opened up with "Amethyst," a tune I initially wrote for the 365 several months ago. It was an amazing night of friendship and music, a throwback to the types events I share in the Archives here daily. Dylan Avery can be seen filming the band. He has put together some clips that show how fancy we are. You can see them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqApZQzanyI

That is the long version of them. The short version is still coming. I can't wait. Obviously Dylan's footage will be a hunk more exciting. That's the whole point, but here is taste of the grace we displayed on stage at our funfest at Winston's that Thursday, a fortnight ago.

The Jefferson Jay Band (NYSE: JJB) is yours truly on guitar and vocals, Leanne Pearl on drums, The Soul Man on guiro, Paul Ruiz on trumpet and Richard Romero on bass. I love these days.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 304 "Rex the Tune"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQM-NNHZOtE


"Rex the Tune" is a song off my first CD "Great Story," which you can check out here,

http://jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com/album/great-story

if you're so inclined. The title, "Rex the Tune" has two meanings. One, is that or old bass player at the time I wrote it, Rex, was amazing slapping and popping on the bass. "Rex the Tune" gave him a great opportunity to do so, so I named it after him. When "The Funky One" Damon Stoll joined the band, the same concept applied.

The other name, the more literal one as it pertains to the tune is, "Rex" means "king" in some language, Latin, I think, and this song is about the fact that nature is king in our world. The mountain, the ocean, the river, these are all houses of worship, fr anyone truly grateful to have this awesome planet as our home. Each of these environs shows us how to act in this world if we look at it that way. They lead quietly and by example. They selfless, strong, unemotional, consistant and strikingly beautiful. They are our home and they are a reflection of what we can be if we choose to be our best selves.

This "Great Story album version features, Pete Kelly on guitar, Phil Palmejar on drums, Damon Stoll on bass, The Soul Man on guiro, and maybe even one of two other people. (There were no other people. I checked.) Back in those days, I laid the tracks on the album real thick. Come to think of it, I still do. The footage came from a trip to cliffs out by my house that I made with the pooches Angel, in black, and Nigel, the other day. We explored the ocean. I played a song. This is a blessed life we live. I am humbled to be allowed to do it. Each day is a marvel and a gift. Thanks and appreciation are always appropriate. Whatever gave us life, also gave us nature to sustain and amaze us and that is a generous gift. In the end of this song, the narrator returns to nature. The last verse goes,

"Time to lead me to the heavens
I’ve put it out there now I’m heading home
Time to rest and be with God now,
While nature has been throwing you the throne.

You, the throne."

No comments: