Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Reflections on the Winston's gig

Last Thursday night, some friends and I played a show at legendary local night club called Winston's. It was such a special and successful night that I felt some words in reflection were called for. First for foremost, the vibe was fantastic. When I say vibe, I mean the feeling in the room. This in an intangible, but when it is right, it can not be missed. This is what I shoot for when I throw shows. I aim to help create the type fo vibe that anybody who enters can feel that there is love and they are welcome. That happened in a big way on Thursday and I'm not afraid to say, it's the first time that vibe has been represented so strongly in quite some time.

We had it down pat after awhile at Portugalia, but like all else, these things change after time. The vibe disintegrated so badly there the place doesn't exist anymore. That same exact was back Thursday night though. It was a reunion. It was old friends meet new good times in a beautiful way.

So specifics. My man Some Guy, the artist formerly known as Carlos Soriano, The San Diego Cassanova, kicked the show off with a great set. He brought two dodgeball teams to support him and early the crowd was large and the party was on. Melissa Eisler followed with a nice set of her own. She was joined by Barbara Tolbert for a couple songs, the last of which I found particularly compelling.

Brett Walling, formerly of Chimney was next. Since I last saw him perform, he honed hos craft in Europe and brought a more controlled and mature sound to the stage. His new group featured longtime collaborator Jeff Shaefer on guitar, Charlotte James on violin, and The Soul Man on guiro. It was a passionate and enjoyable set, from my old friend Brett.

Charbra was next. Their flirtation with an electric band has been tabled temporarily and I think everybody wins here. Their new group featured Jeff Shaefer, again on guitar, a bassist, and a cajon player. Charlotte and Barbara shined and I found their set to be awesome. It was getting a little late, but I couldn't brig myself to cut even one tune. They nailed it and everybody liked it a lot.

Destructo Bunny followed. he was as big an appreciator of the love in the room as anyone, going so far as to say he felt like he was finally back in Ocean Beach, even though he moved back several months ago. His set was inspired. He opened with intro from his "The OB Experience" CD and followed through an inspired set of many fantastic freestyles and deep musical grooves.

There were so many friends in the house who didn't perform and it was great to see each one of them. Ean Greene, Amanda Sperry, Patricia Mueller, Nancy Truesdail, Marsellus Wallace, Randy Robinson, Stephanie Sandoval... There were many more, too may to list, but thanks to them all. They contributed their priceless love and energy and I greatly appreciated it.

The Bunny called me on stage near the end of his set and acknowledged to the audience what a wonderful moment we were sharing. He then closed his set with the outro to his record, which is a rendition of Don Truesdail playing his tune, "Hemophilia." It underscored the sacred nature of the event. It was moving to hear Don's voice from the stage through the speakers in a room full of loving friends once more.

Then the fun and the work really started for me. We threw The Jefferson Jay Band up on to the stage and I was really in to it. So much so, that I am just remembering some of the details of our set. Destructo sat in on a tune or two. People danced. We ripped through two sets of our new rockin' material. Soul Man, Paul Ruiz, Richard Romero, and my dear Leanne Pearl, all brought their "A" game to the stage and it felt great to forget about all the work that went in to making this show and just let my hair down and play. It felt triumphant and all the anxiety I felt, while hoping the show would go OK was transformed in to triumph and satisfaction.

I was sore for a few days all over my body after this one. Dylan Avery filmed the event for me, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with after editing. While I ached for days, I am still smiling about Thursday. I am renewed and feel like my friends are too. It's been awhile since we spent all that time at the Portuguese restaurant with the stage. Enough time has past that whatever possessiveness that had accumulated has evaporated and everybody seems to have a newfound appreciation for the simplicity and love found in our cumulative music and friendship. I know I feel that way.

It seems beyond fitting that my next Open Mic begins tonight, 6 days after that blast at Winston's Beach Club. It seems even more fitting that my new work place is known as The Reunion. They have new owners, who seem to be free of the jaded and pre-conceived notions that come with running a bar after awhile. They are not looking for people to take advantage of. They are just happy to have some good folks to work with. I feel the same way.

So friends, here we go again. Fire up your guitars and bring your love with you, because that's what it's all about. We've all done it before so we know we can again. We did on Thursday and while it would be easy to call that a swansong, I don't see it that way. I've been to several swansongs and this felt way different. It felt like old friends enjoying a new beginning, and to that I say, hell yeah, it's about time.

No comments: