Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 301

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 307 Jefferson Jay Band "Gypsy Roll/Avalon" 9-15-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRVZw6HPmYo


So, here is another clip from The Jefferson Jay Band set at the Winston's gig, 9-15-11. If you read my spiels regularly, you know I was very pleased with the overall vibe at that show. So was Destructo Bunny. He said it was the best show he played all year and he's been working hard. He's played a lot of awesome shows. So I appreciated what he said a lot. I know where he was coming from. It is a good feeling outside at the which makes a good feeling inside you . You then put that energy back into the show, cause it feels so good, but you get to take that good feeling with you into the world also, when the show is past.

I was so focused on making that show the best it could be, by the time our set came, I couldn't even think. I could only play. Therefore, I can hardly remember his happening. I have no idea what the Bunny said or how it went. I still don't. I've been working hard. Taught high school chemistry from 7AM, recorded the videos quick, took the dogs to the park with Leanne, volunteered teaching guitar at the ARTS Center, then had rehearsal. I am posting this at 9:02 and need to be at Leanne's to eat, with her and her papa by 9:19. I love this life. You really gotta keep moving sometimes. It is fun from time to time... So I am saving watching this for another time. I remember it was memorable. How could it not be? The Bunny sitting in with the JJB. Much love, at the very least. It's there somewhere in my mind. I look forward to rediscovering it whenever it is I do.

The Jefferson Jay Band is Leanne Pearl on drums, Richard Romero on bass, Paul Ruiz on trumpet, and Soul Man on guiro, and me.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 307 "Stand" by R.E.M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP5HzRpnHSE


Occasionally in the course of a day of subbing Chemistry, the internet tends to get searched. So, through this I learned R.E.M. broke up last week. "Stand" was the first R.E.M. song I heard and really liked. I still do. I didn't buy that CD, but I did get the next three. The first two, "Out of Time," and "Automatic For The People," I loved. They had a profound impact on me but it would be difficult to explain beyond that. I eventually bought "Green," the CD with "Stand" on it. I liked "Stand," Orange Crush," and You Are the Everything" a lot on it.

I saw R.E.M. in 1998. It was the day my mom got married for the third time. To Bobby Brown. I was also Game One of the Yankees and the Padres in the World Series. I didn't even live in San Diego yet. I participated in neither of those. I was at Neil Young's Bridge School benefit concert with Neil, R.E.M., and Phish. I was still pretty hugely into Phish at that time. They sat in with Neil on a beautiful moving version of "Helpless." I got to wrap up. It's 9:12.

I wish R.E.M. in their future endeavors. Thanks for the great music. I'd be shocked if they don't play another gig within five years, health (of course) permitting.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 307 "Ma Petite Angel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCz7FMwEic


This is a long story to tell fast. I went to Europe in 2000. 2001? One or the other. 2001. I took a train from London to France. Angel was a baby. She was in SD. I wrote this tune in French. Wound up playing it at an Open Mic in Paris that night with French musicians. Got paid even and spent the dough at the adjacent restaurant. It was one of the best meals I ever ate. Fish and rice. Awesome French cuisine. I loved France. "Ma Petite Angel," is about Angel and how she is my best friend and I love her. She is almost 12 now and I love her more than ever.

I had another french girl help me pick the right words. I haven't played "Ma Petite Angel" in awhile, so I think I biffed a word or two. It's French...

Here's what I was trying to say in French and English.

J’adore ma petite Angel
Parce qu’elle est ma meilleure amie
Et je l’adore

J’adore ma petite Angel
Elle est joli comme cent arc-en-ciel

Quand je voyage a travers
Les contres colores de l-Europe
Mon Coeur reviens a toi seul

J’adore ma petit Angel
Parce qu’elle est ma belle chienne noire
Et je l’adore

I love my little Angel
Because she is my best friend
And I love her
I love my little Angel
She has the beauty of 1000 rainbows
As I travel through the colorful fields of Europe,
My heart belongs to you alone.
I love my little Angel
Because she is my good black dog
And I love her

9:19

No comments: