Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 287

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 293 Robin Lee "Down to My Last Cigarette" 4-16-09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIaNqTtRbs0


This clip is the conclusion of Robin Lee's set on April 16, 2009. She closed with a cover of k.d. lang's "Down to My Last Cigarette." She mentions at the clip's start that she thinks "Patsy Cline, or somebody" did it. She was right. It was somebody. Robin is joined by Jack Davidson on lead guitar.

It has been great fun for me, watching and listening to Robin's music this past week or so here ion the 365. What great gifts, pieces of ourselves, even, we musicians leave for one another to enjoy when we can't be around. It is special and unique. Robin, I'm with you in spirit. Peace and thanks for all the love and all you've taught me. And thanks for calling my kids' CD "X-rated" at the end of this clip. That was very funny.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 293 "I Love the Night Life" by Alicia Bridges
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL9MogH0gKA


"I Love the Night Life" popped in my head and these days, that's all it takes to get on the 365. What a cool tune! Alicia Bridges and Susan Hutcheson, Much fun playing it. Thanks to Nancy's hat and Josh's grooving in the corner. No one puts Baby in a corner. Well, Josh is not Baby and this is not Dirty Dancing.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 293 "Silent Underground"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncbDMejPna4


"Silent Underground" is a tune I co-wrote with Paola Race (then Paola Gross) in 1995. Paola had moved to Humboldt for a year of exchange from UMASS. Her boyfriend at the time, Andy went too. They encouraged me to join them and I have been a Californian ever since. Around this time, me college band broke up and I took up the guitar to further my musical aspirations. As I was picking up the instrument, Paola, who already played beautifully, and I wrote a handful of songs and recorded them before she returned to Massachusetts. "Silent Underground" with the 4th of the five. She played guitar and sang back-up. I sang lead.

Today, I play it all. I saw Paola in Sacramento on our tour in April. It is always awesome to catch up with her and her husband, Alex. It seems like just yesterday we were sitting in my dorm room at UMASS singing harmonies on "Helplessly Hoping." Or hiking to down to Patrick's Point with a guy named Patrick, stopping to jam on the side of the trails. Those blessed days. These blessed days. It's hard to believe they are all the same.

No comments: