Friday, September 30, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 304

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 310 Destructo Bunny "Zendontro" 9-15-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBnwQGf3LfI


So from a visual perspective, this may not be the most interesting video that I've posted. From an emotional perspective, it has got to be one of the best. This one of the best moments of a truly wonderful night of music at Winston's on September 15, 2011. Destructo Bunny was really excited about the positive vibe in the room that night. Although he returned to San Diego early this year, the vibe at this show made him feel like he was finally back in Ocean Beach.

When the Bunny lived her before, he recorded a CD called "The Outta Body Experience," or "The OB Experience" for short. He had a few friends record support tracks for him including myself, Jason Burleson, and my man, Don Truesdail. Don went over James; (The Bunny's real name, James Deans) house are recorded some tracks from a tune of his called "Hemophilia." "Hemophilia" is an awesome song, Don write. James was going to do a whole hip hop remix thing on it but after Don died, he remixed in a pretty straightforward acoustic manner.

When James set started that night, I noticed he began with the intro from his "OB Experience" CD. I thought it was an interesting choice, considering, he more or less just hits play and lets it run. It set the mood nicely though and anybody who is familiar with James CD, I'm sure would recognize it. I did.

Near the end of the set, James called me up on stage. We had a nice moment, which you can see here. James then concluded his set with the version of "Hemophilia," from the end of his CD, which he titled "Zendontro." It was a wonderful feeling to hear Don's voice and Don;s music crashing through the sound system at Winston;s to an audience including many of his friends including his wife Nancy. You could tell she really appreciated. What a brilliant and poetic artistic gesture. It was terrifically appropriate with the great vibe already in the mood that night and I wanted to use this forum to share this here with you. People die, love never does. It if for friends and loved ones to carry on these legacies, particularly, when the friend is an artist.

Our friend, Dylan Avery, can be seen in the video getting all kinds of god shots of the stage. My video is filmed form my stationary camera in the back of the room. It is not as visually stimulating. The good news is, in exchange, for me hanging out with his adorable poochie, Gordo for a fortnight, he filmed and put together some really cool footage from this show. I wil taking this opportunity to share it here with you.

www.youtube.com/iamdylanavery
Winstons - 9/15/11 - Destructo Bunny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Of7TnoCvg

Winstons - 9/15/11 - Jefferson Jay Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq3PF6VHIaU

Winstons - 9/15/11 - Charbra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbrgdopnUoE

Winstons - 9/15/2011 - Some Guy, Melissa Eisler, Brett Walling, Charbra, Destructo Bunny, JJB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uObTzHTtX8

Winstons - 9/15/2011 - Jefferson Jay Band - Long Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqApZQzanyI

Enjoy. Peace. Love and Hail Truesdail.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 310 "Tusk" by Lindsey Buckingham
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpHdi8K05xA


When it became cover time today, I was thinking my buddy Chris Scelzo's song, "Time Can't Fade," would be a great one to play. I tried it a few times, but considering my main exposure to the song occurred between 22 and 15 years ago. I grew a respectable musical taste in the passenger seat of Chris's Hyundai. We would drive on late night diner missions and wherever else and he would school with tunes he loved, usually from the 70s, on cassettes in his messy ride.

There was Jethro Tull, The Kinks, and a lot of Fleetwood Mac. Old Fleetwood Mac quite often. He would enthusiastically pound his steering wheel to the infectious rhythms of "Tusk," Fleetwood Mac's 1979 album of the same name. There were tons of rockin' music and great memories. All these lessons would be reinforced through acoustic sing-along jam sessions, with staples like, "Ziggy Stardust," "Bell Bottom Blues," "Sweet Home Alabama," and The Travelling Wilburys' "Handle With Care." What great memories. I love Chris and hope I squeeze in "Time Can't Fade," before this 365 is over. The song was great then and the sentiment stand strong today.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 310 "Size Matters Not"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwxpr0pskcw


I'm proud to have Yoda backing me up today's future hit, "Size Matters Not." Things can get mundane when doing the same thing 310 days in a row. Playing guitar. Singing a song. Recording videos. posting them. All that. So today, I changed it up a little. I like thumping on guitar. It is a hollow wooden box, so when you tap on it, cool sounds can come out. One can produce many different tones when thumping a guitar. So today, I went that and did my own thing. It's not "Stairway to Heaven," granted, but neither is "The Rain Song." And I don't think that's bad. Music, life, people like life, comes in all shapes and sizes.

No comments: