Friday, September 9, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 283

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 289 Robin Lee "Monsoon" 4-16-09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzSIm0YKWf4


Some things change faster than you can possibly imagine. Other things can't change quickly enough. I believe some perceptions were altered here in San Diego when our huge blackout forced neighbors to meet one another and talk to and rely on one another in a manner unseen in years. Yes, yesterday was quite a special day in San Diego. Who knew the moon could shine so brightly? Or that there were so many stars that you could actually see from this city?

My friend Kirsten (pronounced Karsten), had a 40th birthday bash in our backyard yesterday. It was planned before the blackout. I guess on could even argue it was planned forty years ago the day she was born, Well, Karst works in the service industry. She is a bartender and from time to time, she likes to tie one on. What could be a more fitting tribute that a blackout birthday bash on such a special anniversary. It was cool.

From what I understand, it was party-time everywhere around these parts. As quickly as people sought a new way, more befitting or our darkness, other ideas take longer to unfold. Of course, if you switch the circumstances dramatically, like what happened yesterday, things can change fast. In either case, I'm trying to say. It would be cool to hang out with Robin again, like in the old days or some unknown version of the new days. Here she is with Jack Davidson playing her song, Monsoon," from my birthday, baby, April 16, 2009. You woulda liked the blackout. I did.

It just dawned on me that this Tropical Storm Lee is flooding folks on the East Coast and this song is called "Monsoon." The sky is crying.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 289 "Dancing In The Dark" by Bruce Springsteen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfubY4-ZgK4


I don't think I've done much Boss for the 365. Maybe one tune. "I'm On Fire?" I don't even know. I was looking for a cool tune to talk more about yesterday's landmark SD blackout. Why was it such a landmark, you ask? I believe it changed the way people think about stuff. It forced you to think what if we lost electricity for a really long time? What if it never came back on? What would we do? People stopped watching "Wheel of Fortune" (or whatever) every day at 7:00PM and sat outside sipping beer and wine with their neighbors instead. We have all become so isolated form one another, donating ourselves to gizmos and machines like TV, cell phones, and this computer right here. Everyone down here and for miles around got proof yesterday that it doesn't have to be that way. We choose it.

When I played "Dancing In The Dark" today, I learned it is a way cooler tune, than I realized. t fits this situation perfectly. Bruce says, in Verse 1, that he wants to make a difference in the world, but he is worn down, lonely and depressed, about he fact that he feels like he needs to do this all on his own.

The Boss says in Chorus 1, line 1 that "you can't start a fire without a spark." I'm hoping our little blackout was the spark, locally, that will remind people that it's OK to talk to and rely on one another. In fact, when the pop hits the fan, it's all but a necessity. He adds then, "This gun's for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark," reiterating his willingness to be involved in a solution, even if people don't know what the solution is, kinda like yesterday.

In Verse 2, Bossy talks about the radio being on, as it tends to be in blackouts and other dire circumstances that pop up. People want to hear form each other and know what's going on. Again, the Boss transmits his exasperation with the status quo. He then re-choruses in traditional rock song from.

In his bridge, he talks about how taking all this responsibility on his shoulders for the world is a joke, that he may be butt of. In Verse 3, His Bossiness talks about staying hungry on the streets, both literally and figuratively I imagine. I can tell you lots of folks were out last night on the streets, meeting and mangling, eating, drinking and coming together in a way TV can never replicate. The Boss needs a "love reaction". Don't we all?

The Boss wants to do some stuff. He is ready and down. He feels lonely. Well, at least the character he is portraying in "Dancing in the Dark." I can relate to all of this and I'll be my neighbors can relate to hose sentiments far more than they could yesterday. I can relate to it too well. Here's hoping for more change, more people pulling together and treating each other like precious human beings again. Enough electricity. we need more love reactions.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 289 "The Blackout Is Over"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTI83vHugL0


OK, only one more blackout blog to write. So it was late last night and I was sitting in my room, by candlelight and I decided to do some writing. I got out my trusty notebook and pen and started jotting. I was a little sloppy and so was the writing. I had a riff I was playing when the power went out at the ARTS Center . SO today, I sang the words I wrote and played that riff to the best of my recollection. I added a change on the fly.

A change on the fly. I like that concept. That's what yesterday was. A bunch of improvisation. My buddy Paul Ruiz's mom, she is 90, she said the blackout reminded her about the way things were long ago. I agree. People spoke to one another. They cared for one another. People tried to help each other. That's the way it should still be. It's not too late. If the shit goes down, worse than yesterday, people would realize quick. We did here yesterday. a lot of people are cool, have good stuff to say, care, understand that this life matters. We all need to come together soon, before it's too late, try to make the most we can of this world and this life. We can do stuff. I swear. We just have to want to do it more than we want to watch TV and play video games.

"The Blackout Is Over." hopefully, we can start to see the light now. Maybe this little blink in the system can change people's minds. Maybe people can spread that change to people unaffected by the blackout. Maybe people affected by the hurricane or the tropical storm... I don;t know. People, it's time. Forget Obama;s speech. We couldn't hear it here in San Diego anyway. Maybe your own speech. let's take this world back in the name of the people who care about one another. Little stores said open and sold people the goods that they needed. Huge corporate monoliths like Rite Aid, Ralph's, and whoever else. They closed their doors, locked up, wanted to make sure they didn't get robbed. Without computers, they're not even equipped to sell stuff anymore. We need a program of people who care and are willing to do what is necessary to help folks in the vent hat shit goes down. Honestly, it's a start AND it's the least we can do... Well,I guess we could watch "Wheel of Fortune."

The People's Movement, by the people, of the people, the people.

No comments: