Thursday, September 22, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 296

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 302 Don Truesdail "The Torch Song" - 10-27-08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqrjuAzfb1M


Much of Don Truesdail's music can be viewed through a different lens in light of his passing in January 2009. Every phrase about or reference to death, the great beyond, or anything of that nature elicits extra scrutiny and consideration. Of course, he couldn't have been expected to know what would happen when we wrote, but all the same, tunes like "The Torch Song," in which Don begins the lyric with line "Pass along the family torch to Amy (his sister)," tempt a tear every time they're listened to intently.

In the days and weeks that followed Don's death, I heard "The Torch Song" many times and each time the cruel irony and him singing a song that could so easily be interpreted as if it was meant for that very occasion was heartbreaking. Don was moving to California from his home in upstate New York, and was singing about being far from his loving family. That said, lines like "I don't know how far I'll take our name," just seem too prophetic sometimes to be random.

Don may have had a feeling he'd never get real old. My best friend from high school, Tony, used to tell me all the time he was going to die on his 21st birthday. He died one month shy of 18. It seems morbid but maybe some people just know. Maybe these things are manifested, in part. It's impossible to say.

I know Don used his songs to address the issues that matter most to him. He thought long and hard about every word he chose, every beat, every note, and probably almost every implication. His body of work is packed with wit and wisdom. He was not doing this just for fun and certainly for its financial benefits. It just makes you think, a lot, all the time. Enjoy Don. It's a blessing that we can.

This performance was filmed by Nancy Truesdail, Don's wife, at The Acoustic Evenings at The Athenaeum Series on October 27, 2008. I promoted this series at The Athenaeum Music and Arts Library, in La Jolla, CA, months after finishing my Master's Thesis, which detailed the history of this historic institution.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 302 "I Wanna Be Sedated" by The Ramones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wEfNVzik6E

I've been struggling the last few days with the covers component of the 365. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising being that I've played a cover song for 301 days in a row. My students are singing "Three Little Birds." Maybe I oughtta do that one some time soon. For today, "I Wanna Be Sedated." I remembered how much I loved The Ramones when I played their "Not My Place" the other day and today I took their biggest hit and made it reggae. Got a little silly at the end. Life... Oh, the levity.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 302 "My Chargers Pre-Season Prediction Song (You Can't Judge a Book By It's Cover)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUSw2UjaeSA


So, remember a few weeks ago when I thought I was going to go on the radio and that whole thing? Where do I begin? In 2006, I did radio awhile. I liked it. I moved on from it, but my friend Ken, who writes for the paper, has always kept at trying to get me back on the air. He's talked to producers, program directors, radio legends, radio has beens, and radio never-wases, all in an attempt to restore my beautiful voice to the San Diego airwaves. Thanks Ken. I appreciate your support, but we both know you have some endgame in this. Good radio for everyone everywhere I imagine.

So Ken got in touch with the producer, John Pratt, of The Scott and BR Show on xx1090AM in San Diego. That is the sports station. I listen to it often, I'm not ashamed to admit, even if I should be. Ken got them interested in me. I called them. We went back and forth. Months passed. Summer came. Summer went. Finally, as the NFL season approached, Mr. Pratt seemed to get behind the idea of me being on the air. In fairness, he always seemed keen on the concept. The concept is, I am funny, I play music, I provide content and spice. I make their already good show a bit more eclectic and exciting. John Pratt emails me a few weeks ago and says write a tune. I do so instantly. I tell him I'm ready, eventually, they invite me to be on their show two weeks ago today. At 6:30AM, I get a call saying they need to reschedule. We do, for last Friday. Again late reschedule. Apologies. This time it had something to do with Switchfoot. I bet Switchfoot isn't funny. They are famous. This time we reschedule for TBD. This whole story leads up to the that I have no idea when that is going to be. I wouldn't put all my money on soon. So that is why I can not save "My Chargers Pre-Season Prediction Song (You Can't Judge a Book By It's Cover)" any longer.

First of all, the pre-season ended two weeks ago, right about the same time I went from pretty darn psyched to tepidly enthusiastic about my immediate future on "The Scott and BR Show." So my prediction song concept is kind of shot. That's OK. Like my "Radio Blueballs"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM_nl998aqo

song from last week, this song primarily is written for Scott, BR, and enjoyers of their program, "Great Friends," they call them. Scott and BR call all the callers to their show "Great Friends.' I believe they do some charitable stuff with all that. I support it. I like this tune. It is a good one. I couldn't let it rot on the sidelines. Especially, not during an Operation 365. Simply not an option.

The whole song is written in the style of good-natured shit talk. It is rooted in the Howard Stern and WWF approach to communication, to which I had critical exposure in my formative years. I think it's funny. To me, it's all in good fun. Howard called it "good radio." He is The King of All Media, so his opinion should be worth something. An edge keeps things interesting. There are many boring shows on the radio. There are ways things could be done differently. You think music is bad, radio stopped pursuing new directions a very long time ago. That's why Howard Stern left. And that's the reason I stopped pursuing being on the radio. I have listened to Scott and BR's show some and I was excited to see how they'd react when I played "My Chargers Pre-Season Prediction Song" for them in their studio. It wasn't meant to be. This was.

If the Chargers make a run in the post-season, I'm sure I'll be on someone's show. That seems to be what it takes to get on a show. Unfortunately, the Chargers usually lose to fast for that to happen. The last time I was on was 2007. It may be awhile. Go Bolts.

This is what we call, making a long story, long.

TAGS: Operation 365, Chargers, San Diego, San Diego Chargers, Jefferson Jay, SCott and BR, Billy Ray Smith, Hacksaw, Hacksaw Hamilton, Jim Rome, Butterknife, 1090, double x, darren smith, antonio cromartie, rex ryan, NFL, jets, new york, new york jets, Eric Weddle, Phillip Rivers, Antonio Gates, LT, Originals, my, Pre-Season, Prediction, Song, You Can't Judge a Book By It's Cover, ken, radio, has been. never was, howard stern, wwe, wwf, switchfoot, John Pratt, Lee Hamilton, bleeping brilliant, tbd

No comments: