Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 281

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 287 Robin Lee "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" 4-16-09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJbue23yT-8


I think it's safe to say "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" is Robin's signature tune. It was a beloved staple of a good show at the old Portugalia back in the day. I used to join Robin on it from time to time on lead guitar, most notably in the "24 Hours of Free Music" movie. Then she hooked up with Jack Davidson and there was no looking back. I didn't blame her. To the contrary, I got Jack to be in my band too. Jack has some sweet licks saved up. Spoke to him the other day. That doesn't happen to often these days. He is concerned about the Red Sox pitching heading into the play-offs. Fair enough.

Robin, I miss you, I love you, and I think of you tons and tons. Thanks for leaving these tunes around for us to all appreciate how talented, insightful and kick-ass you are.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 287 "Frog Went A-Courtin" - Traditional
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w21F8EqLtRY


So today, I was enjoying a fine half-sandwich at the Rubicon Deli in Mission Beach with Leanne and Jason Burleson. Yumtastic! At some point, 'Tom and Jerry" started showing on the television. That reminded of that episode where Jerry's uncle keeps playing "Frog Went A-Courtin" and pulling Tom;s whiskers out. I was a big Tom fan, so that episode used grind my little kid gears, but Jerry's uncle, looking back, was one of the first people I ever hears really rip it on the guitar. Even though he was really a cartoon mouse. He was like Elvis or Ricky Ricardo or someone from a long time ago, before people had seen much cool stuff yet.

So I came home, dug up the tune, slowed it down, learned what Senor Traditional was talking about when he wrote this jam, and its here for you now. It is a song about a wedding. I will be ministering a wedding on September 11th, my second. Will be fun. Congratulations to Lauren and Jeremiah!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 287 "Charger Power"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceiN4S7FhWI


So it seems a lot of things have been coming full circle lately. Leanne and I just hit one year and the songs I wrote when we got together are also now one. So is our puppy Nigel. School is starting,which means I can make dough again when teachers start missing days. The old bar I worked at, O'Connell's is now called The Griffin. I hosted Open Mic there for a year and a half and played there with my band on New Years' Eve twice. I have been in there a few times and I've been discussing doing something fun with them. It's the ten year anniversary of 9/11 for Christ's sake. Talk about a reason to look back and then forward again.

I used to be on the radio. I was pretty good at it. In 2006, I hosted a 4-6 hour comedy/talk/local music show on SDSU's little station KCR. My old radio station is re-launching this week and Operation 365 wishes them great luck. I had much fun in my stint on the air there. I learned a lot. I even had a few slots doing talk on the FM radio here in San Diego back then. It seemed for a minute, maybe I'd get somewhere in the radio business.

Around this same time, my girlfriend (at the time), and I went to San Francisco. We were taking the bus to the plane in Oakland as a crappy Raiders-Rams game was ending. There were crazy Raider Nation people with stars and studs and collars and mohawks and armor on the bus. It was weird, and a little scary. I slept on the plane but, through my sleep I recognized a familiar voice. When I got up, I was right. It was "Philly Billy," Bill Werndl, a local sports radio host talking shop a few rows back with Matt Vasgersian. Vasgersian works for the MLB Network now. Then, he broadcast Padre games. They started talking to me as we got off the plan. I think I had a funny hat on or something, Before it was over, Philly Billy invited me on the air to his afternoon drive time show. Soon after, I wrote a tune in anticipation of this visit.

It finally happened as the Chargers made their way into the playoffs. Optimism was high. I was on at the end of their show for awhile. It was cool. They played a tape of my tune, "Charger Power." The song was sorta heavy metalish and very optimistic, almost ensuring a Charger Super Bowl win. They lost that weekend. It was over.

Tomorrow, I will make my return to xx1090 on the AM dial. I will be appearing around 9AM on The Scott and BR show, playing my song about the Chargers hope for this football season, which begins tomorrow night. In honor of this event, I reprised my old "Charger Power" tune from '07 or whenever it was. Hadn't played it awhile as you might imagine. I think it's funny.

Tomorrow should be fun. I will practice my new tune a few more times, maybe record it for tomorrow's 365 and relax. Looking forward to having the opportunity to mix it up once again. If my memory serves me correct, I'm a natural.

No comments: