Sunday, April 10, 2016

Operation 365 2… Blog 108

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Originals – 108 “More Fun” by Jefferson Jay


Want “More Fun” on a Sunday? Well, you got it. Here is another blast from the not-so-distant past. One of those days about a month or so ago when I wrote 24 tunes at once, “More Fun” was born. I think I am concluding that 12 may be the maximum optimum number of songs to write at once. I mean, you CAN write 24 tunes at once, but it takes weeks after to even process what you’ve done and weeks more to figure out what you’ve actually said. It’s an enriching and informative process, but it is lengthy and full of twists and turns. I guess it’s fun in that way, an odyssey indeed.

I think I will do what I did yesterday and briefly review these lyrics to see if I can get a firmer grasp on exactly what I’m saying. OK. I read a verse. I think it means to savor and enjoy living your dreams, ‘cause that’s more fun that the exciting things mentioned like “going to work” for example. OK. I follow me so far. The chorus, which is admittedly one of the stranger things I’ve written in a minute, I think is supposed to hearken back to the “more fun” days of childhood. When we were kids, we played a little game called “Red Light, Green Light, 1-2-3.” It involved a lot of running, starting, and stopping. I seem to have mixed that in with some creepy imagery, perhaps intended to juxtapose the darkness of life and history with the fun of youth and the mundane nature of some days.

Need I admit, I am speculating slightly in these interpretations. I don’t even know exactly what I was thinking. Life is like a puzzle and so are songs. Verse 2 seems to reference that unusual and often disturbing ways the world has changed since I was child. I get even mentions crying children specifically. Hey! Maybe my song makes sense after all! (If I didn’t consider this to be slightly serious writing, I would’ve thrown a smiley face in there.) All of sudden the point seems oddly obvious, as in, did I really need to re-read the words to get it. The point is, have more fun…. Unless the point is, we’re already having more fun, more fun that we can believe with our eyes and our mind. The last line of an old song I wrote called, “Ego,” says “It seems I’ll never know.” Unless I already do…

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words – 108 “What Is a Disability?”

Yesterday, I took my talented troupe of performers from St. Madeleine Sophie's Center to perform a handful to tunes at The El Cajon Public Library for a special even they held. It was lovely. There were parrots, Mexican traditional dancers, belly dancers even, and my gang played too. They played beautifully and were very well-received. I was proud to put it lightly. Honored, actually, I was. They handled themselves like professionals and sang and played their hearts out. People were impressed. 

After I dropped the crew back at their abodes, I thought to myself, What about them makes them "disabled?"  I realized that while they may have some challenges physically or intellectually in some ways, the huge majority of folks I work with are incredibly optimistic, positive people. I thought and continue to think about how many people who are thought to be "fully abled' can not make such a claim. I think they ability to maintain a positive attitude is a "super ability" and a "disability" that upsets me far more than the ones I am face to face with weekly, is being a curmudgeon. 

Folks, everybody has a million things to be happy about. My "special needs" adults get this. Even my colleagues who have difficult jobs caring for some of the more challenged special needs folks get it. How come so many other people still don't get it? To me the inability to find joy in the miracle that is life is the disability that concerns me most. Honestly.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Covers– 108 “Yellow Submarine” by The Beatles

Deep-ass version of "Yellow Submarine" with some lyrical interpretation offered as a bonus, post-credits. Did you know I love you? Yes, each and every one of you. All the people on the planet, or as The Beatles liked to call it, The "Yellow Submarine." Happy Sunday. Happy Every Day.



No comments: