Friday, April 1, 2016

Operation 365 2… Blog 99

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 99 “Olivia” by Jefferson Jay

Welcome to another red-letter today on the 365. It’s April Fool’s Day, but more importantly, it is my niece Olivia’s birthday. Here is a little song I wrote for her the day she was born. I played it a couple times yesterday. This wasn’t the best version, but it’s the one I can find and it’s fine. Regardless, it’s for Olivia and I hope it brings her some joy on her special day. She’s great and I love her. It was wonderful to spend sometime with her a few weeks back in Jersey and I look forward to seeing her again ASAP, ideally, not in Jersey, Keep up the great work, Livvy. We love you and are proud of you.

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Covers – 99 “WKRP in Cincinnati Main Theme” by Tom Wells and Hugh Wilson

I’m as much a sucker for nostalgia as almost anyone. For better or worse that leaves me with high warm spots in my heart for many TV classic of the 70’s and 80’s.  It’s amazing, in my drastic departure from TV and all the timesuck affiliated with it’s watching, I forget how addicted I was to the shining box as a boy. It stands to reason young people feel the same today. It’s not like they can go out and do stuff too much. I have no clue if they’d want to anyway. This is what it is like when you are out of touch.

Anyway, I love “WKRP in Cincinnati,” the song, the characters, the show, the feeling I get when I think about hose simpler times, Memory is amazing. It makes everything old seem awesome. I know this is not true, but when you hear a song like this, it takes you back to a quiet safe place that makes it feel like everything was awesome and it that sense, it was.

Shout out to Some Guy for covering this tune first, reminding me once again how awesome it is, and inspiring this cover I’d been looking forward to playing. No April Fool’s.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words – 99 “Nice Chops: Hope Lives, Part Two”


Here’s a little 365 tidying, as I read part two of the verbiage I wrote at the Nice Chops launch party a week ago Thursday in University Heights. I was very inspired by the way the community came together, supported and embraced the hard work of leather worker/musician Shantih Beeman. Nice Chops, under the visionary leadership of Matt Navarro has a bright future and all the moral high ground one could ever dream of. “Nice Chops” should be the lead story in the news and a Sunday morning feature in the Union-Tribune, and it very well might be. That’s how irresistible and heart-warming this story is.

I was thrilled to just be a part of it, inspired enough to write in my notebook on a rocking chair in the corner on the majesty of it all and then share those words at the event and once again, for posterity, on the this here Operation 365 2.


Shout outs and warm heartfelt salutations to Shantih and his mom, who made me feel at home that night we ate dinner at their place so long ago. Shout outs to the visionary, Matt Navarro, the glamorous and business like Natalie, Johnny C, my Open Mic Daddy, his Gato Papacitos (Kevin Freeby, Johnnie, JP, Justin, and Daniel) A Final shout out for today to Thomas Jefferson and his words of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness mandate that continues to come to fruition hundreds of years later in the magic ménage of moments we call life. Thank you God.

No comments: