Saturday, April 16, 2016

Operation 365 2… Blog 114

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Covers – 114 “I’m Your Fool” by Steve Hunsberger


Hello. It is my birthday. Happy Birthday, Me. Yes, It is nice to make another year. I am humble.

When I started this here 365, there were some songs I knew I’d play certain days. “I’m Your Fool” was one of them, and I knew I’d play it today, on my birthday. My birthday is not just my birthday. It is also The Hunsbergers. Anniversary. We love them. They are our supreme amigos. Steve literally married me. I don’t mean we’re married. I mean he married me to Leanne, at his house, the same place he was wed to Tara, five years ago today. I MC’d their wedding and Steve smashed cake in my face. Leanne caught the bouquet. Great times.

Today, I celebrate our mutual holidays by playing a tune from the Hunsberger catalog, a tune I love called “I’m Your Fool.” Even though I’m sure there’s tight restrictions regarding sharing other people’s love songs, I’m dedicating this version to my dear wife Leanne, who makes me feel like every day’s my birthday. ALL IN!

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words– 114 “How Now We Are Giants”

I’m the type of guy who thinks a lot about the beyond. I stay real close to my people who reside there and I go most from our very vivid interactions. I don’t talk about this much because there is no need to. But sometimes, we want to connect with our not-so-long lost, especially while still grieving or at certain times of they year.

I’ve been thinking a lot about my dear friend, Mike Warrington lately. He passed away last June and I’ve been thinking of him. His birthday will be 4/20 and it’ll be his first one away. Some friends from back at UMASS, where we all know each other from, threw a tribute concert for him last night in San Francisco. I’m sure it was amazing and I’m sorry I couldn’t be there to hang and play.

So, I’m going to tribute Mike or MJW as we called him, here in my own way, these next few days. I’ve been learning a few Alice In Chains tunes and last night I stayed up late as it became my birthday, writing some reflections on the enormous influence he had on me becoming who I am today. I am grateful and he was great.

So finally, around 3:30 AM, I lay down for bed and the first couple verses of a new song arrive in my head. Many times, I’d hop up for this, normally, it’s the only way to save the song, but this time I didn’t. I have enough tunes lately and it was late. I was tired. Time to sleep. This morning, I was fortunate. It was still there.

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Originals – 114 “Now We Are Giants” by Jefferson Jay

The idea of the song was and is that we are people, scuffling around trying to do our best and find our way, intermittently I suppose. We are all different. We are all the same and we all climb uphill often. It is life’s way. I imagined my closest friends who’ve passed standing tall around me like Giant Redwood trees. I felt their firm and quiet support.

They are giants now, greater than words and earthly things like living. They are elsewhere I imagine as they are with me. And I appreciate their presence. I very specifically appreciated so many one of their presents last night, Don, Tony, Angel, Mike, Grandma, Grandpa, Peter… It’s an honor to continue to know you and share your love, one and all.

So this is a little story about how I wrote this song.


No comments: