Thursday, April 14, 2016

Operation 365 2… Blog 112

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Covers – 112 “Sixteen Tons” by Tennessee Ernie Ford


“Sixteen Tons” is an awesome old school tune. I think it’s a song kids like, (or liked, I have no idea if kids ever hear this song now) because of the neat deep voice Tennessee Ernie Ford brings to his rendition. My lovely wife, Leanne, plays drums for my Jefferson Jay Band, but she also plays guitar and sings. Sometimes she even graces the stage of my Open Mic, Wednesdays from 6 to 9 at Winston’s Beach Club, here in Ocean Beach, San Diego. One of the tunes she plays from time to time is “Sixteen Tons” and I think that’s how I got into playing it. What fun. I love life.

I don’t love that the Yankees have blown their lead since I started this 365 here today, but even the Bronx Bombers can’t win ‘em all.  I just learned “Sixteen Tons” was originally written by Merle Travis in 1946 and was a number one hit for ol’ Tennessee Ernie in 1955. That’s one for all you fact hounds. I love me a fact hound. They’re fewer and further between these here days. It’s not 1955 anymore. Someone tell Marty McFly, please.

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Originals – 112 “To the Old Days” by Jefferson Jay

You’ll find few more nostalgic people than me. I love the thought of a kinder, simpler time where folks took care of each other like our fates are interrelated. News flash! They are. They are, folks, and the only way back to the old days is through today, through caring about our fellow man and woman and about making that care a priority in our daily lives.

It fires me up and it warms my heart. I am an optimist. I believe. I believe positive things can happen and singing about it, makes it happen to some degree. I love it. I love being a part of it and I love feeling the good vibes that course through my veins as they course through this glamorous, incredible universe we call home.

“To the Old Days” is one of the last remaining tunes I haven’t shared from the first time I ever wrote 24 tunes at once (well, really over a few days, but like, at once). This song makes me feel that simpler time that he song is about, so I guess in that sense “To the Old Days” is a transportive song and if you don’t believe me, look at the smile on my face when I sing it here.


Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words– 112 “Love Is Our Destiny”

Well, I was little weary when I amped myself up to record these videos a little bit ago. Boy, was it worth it. I had a blast playing these tunes today and by the time I was done, I could hardly contain my enthusiasm. It’s for this reason I’m glad we’ve added a ranting area to this here 365 2. It’s good for me to share my passion and my emotion with you, because I believe this stuff is contagious. I don’t believe I’m the only completely love-fire-up goof. No, not at all. Some of you latent lovers are gonna come flying out of the closet when you see what it does for me, how high I am on this stuff. Love me some love. There is no substitute! Long way, easy way, either way. Love is coming. Step aboard or step aside, but even if you step aside, you’re still coming for the ride. You’re just taking the long way. Love is our destiny.

No comments: