Thursday, April 21, 2016

Operation 365 2… Blog 119

Operation 365 2– Jefferson Jay – Covers – 119  “The Ballad of Gilligan’s Isle” by Sherwood Schwartz and George Wyle


So Prince died today. Condolences to the entire state of Minnesota, particularly the Twin Cities. If anyone else of that musical ilk had died, I’d likely tribute them with a cover of one of their fine tunes today. Alas, Prince was unlike all others. By that, I mean, he was the only guy who refused to let artists like myself play his tunes on YouTube. No need to bash the dud on the day he died, but when I played “Cream” during the first 365, I got threatening lawyer-led emails and the video was pulled down. They said if I did it again, they could shut down my entire channel and pull all my videos down. So, “Cream” is only video from the first 365, not still available here on the web.

So in lieu, of the awesome version of “Purple Rain” that I would loved to provide today, I offer instead by Gorillaz-inspired take on the Gilligan’s Island Theme Song, which I just learned is officially called “The Ballad of Gilligan’s Isle.” I was feeling alright about this take on the tune until I was stricken near the song’s climax with a harrowing bout of “Glasses Skiing.” Folks, please protect your children. Wear contacts of you have. This can happen to you too. Don’t let your rendition “The Ballad of Gilligan’s Isle” suffer in the way that so many of ours have for so long. Thank you.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Words – 119 “Avoid Glasses Skiing”


Folks, there is a very serious social circumstance that is affecting so many today. This, quite clearly, is glasses skiing. Although the confluence of traits that brings forth this dreaded condition is quite rare, it is extremely alarming, especially to those of is who suffer through this every sweaty day. Please watch this video and reach deep into your hearts and give to whatever charities are working day and night to battle this debilitating disorder. Thank you.

Operation 365 2 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 119 “Ya Gotta Love the View” by Jefferson Jay

So, I made this up for ya today. Got a little crazy. Improvised some. You get the drift. I considered a few names, most notably “Mama Nina” but ultimately settled on whatever I said last essentially. It should be stated for the record that this tune is in no way shape or form, related to or inspired by the ABC weekday yenta-schmooze of the same name. They’ve said you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Fine, but I think it’s those last impressions, those ones that linger, that really pack the most punch. This tune is punchy, and I hope you love it as much as I love you.


No comments: