Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 167

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 167 “Peaceful Easy Feeling” by Jack Tempchin


It is my delight to play the Eagles’ first hit, “Peaceful Easy Feeling” here for you today on the 365. I have had the pleasure of developing a little friendship with this song’s author. Jack Tempchin. He has played my Acoustic Evenings at The Athenaeum series a number of times and we have chilled and talked songwriting a handful of times, all of which I truly cherish. Jack is a great guy to talk with. It is probably one of the things that has made him such a fabulous songwriter.

Jack once said during one of his shows at the Athenaeum, that he used to be me. By that he meant he hosted Open Mics and events featuring many of the talented folks of his time. Nicely for him, those folks included the Eagles, Tom Waits, Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell and a bunch of other all-time legends.

Once or twice, Jack even came down to kick it at my old haunt, Portugalia, We chilled and chatted and then he said let’s play. We went on stage after the show had wound down and he started on the “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” I was star struck the moment the song started. Jack I down to earth as heck and that was the only moment I felt that way in his company. Someone plays a song they wrote that you used to listen to with your Dad in his car as a small boy. Truly surreal. I love Jack. Hopefully, we’ll hang again son. I’ll have to hit him. Fall Acoustic Evenings Series is booking soon.

I had thought about doing this in the last week of the 365 and I kind of meant to do it as a reggae. Not sure either of those things came to pass exactly as I’d imagined, but that’s what’s so fun about life. Things rarely come to pass exactly like you’d imagined. It’s not ideal for the rigid folks out there. In this world, flexibility counts for a lot.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 167 “To Who Knows Where”

I put on my craft-a-tune-from-scratch-cap again today here for you. I’m getting a little warmed up at that finally. It’s a special skill. Projects like the 365 here keep said skills as sharp as they can be and mine is finally getting there, in my opinion.

I’ve been enjoying capos in this quest this week and this tune is groovy. Now that Bernie Sanders’ campaign appears to have lost its election hope, other folks are going to have to rise up if they want the problems of this world to find solutions. People are going to have to commit themselves to being involved as they have been during this campaign. They are going to have to continue to care and be aware. The discussion has finally begun. What will we, the free folks, do to keep the momentum alive, to keep the “revolution” charging? Where are we going as a people?

This song asks that and answers it slightly. It is time for us to converge and set about heading, as a whole, in the right direction. Towards, freeness, liberty, kindness, and I’m throwing down.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 167 “Be Careful, Folks”


Folks, any instant where you’re not entirely aware can be fatal. If not fatal, it can be costly in a variety of avoidable ways. I take a moment here to implore folks to look where they are and where they’re going, to listen and be alert and aware as much as you can as you wind through your daily life. It just takes one section staring at that phone while you drive. Or one minute without looking where you’re going to change your life in an entirely unpleasant way. I want the opposite of this for you. I want you to be uplifted and rise. We can lift ourselves. We do so when we pay attention and take our time. Love is the way. Attention is love.

No comments: