Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 188

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 188 "Spiderman" by Paul Francis Webster and Robert “Bob” Harris

I love my job working with the special needs folks. I have a particularly fun time with the seniors. They regularly school me on stuff that was popular when they were kids, during the 1950s and 60s. It’s pretty cool. YouTube enables me to take them on a walk down memory lane while I get exposed to some black and white hits for the very first time. I have discovered many cool tunes during this process.

Occasionally, we find common ground, often in the theme song of TV shows that remained on the air in syndication when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. The fellas in my group have a love for superheroes and this is how we wound up at “Spiderman” today, a song I always loved.

Another old friend, Ryan Smith, played a cool jazzy guitar version of this tune, long ago, I recall. I’ve been missing some of the folks I haven’t seen in ages, lately. I’ve had some folks we went to school with die in the not-too-distant past. Maybe that is why. Cheers Ryan. Thanks for the continuing inspiration. Hope to see ya soon. Peace.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 188 "Fifty Dollar Song" by Jefferson Jay

From time to time, I get a big business idea. Some are better than others and few are acted upon. Even less are followed all the way through. There are too many jobs. I don’t know what to do. I’m an idea guy. A partner or two away from a true entrepreneur. At least that’s how it seems. So much so, that I’ve sort of stopped cultivating these ideas. They tended to rest in a folder anyway. There’s no dust in a folder…

One or two of my great ideas have become successful led by other people in no way connected to me. Healthy fast food. That’s one that still could be huge. It will. Some day. A lot of my ideas are like that. Unused. I own domain names for some. I have “resting creative projects too. A screenplay about steroids in baseball. A musical about a revolution of the mind that goes along with my last CD, “Hallelujah Expressway.” I have probably close to 1000 tunes. What does it all do? Little. That’s why I’m compelled to share it here with you. At least it doesn’t die on the vine then. Some day I hope to share much more with you. Maybe even make some money too.

One idea I had awhile back was that I’d write and record personalized songs for people for fifty dollars a tune.  On second thought, that seems way too low. I still never sold any. This song was the example type tune for the idea. I think I even owned fiftydollarsong.com for awhile. I’ve since heard of a guy who charges hundreds of dollars to write “custom songs.” I hear he sells a lot of them too. What are you gonna do? Call for back-up? Call who?


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 188 "The Soul Man on His Birthday Party"

Today is The Soul Man's birthday party, at my Winston's Open Mic from 6-9. I have been to more Soul Man birthday parties than I can count. Some time, long ago, I started hosting 'em. Soul Man is one of my oldest friends and not just cause he's turning 98 on July 1. No, he and I go back a long ways, to Croce's right around the year 2000. He was in my wedding. Said it was the first wedding he was in 50 years. We've been to ballgames, played L.A., lots and lots and lots of stuff. The Soul Man stays young through love, family, music, and faith. i've seen it. Imagine how much a person goes through in 98 years. It's amazing. He's a veteran of WWII and Korea and has as fun-loving and positive an attitude about life as you possibly can. He's one moth younger than my grandpa would be if...

Nobody loves their birthday more than The Soul Man. He'll start thinking about the next one next week some time. When you're The Soul Man, that's what you do. I'm sure it helps to have goals at that age. I know he's aiming for 100. He'll make it if he wants. I was going to say a few words about his birthday and I guess I did here, but I decided to share his birthday enthusiasm with you directly. It rings through. Hail you, brother. Love you. See you in a few. 

No comments: