Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 180

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 180 “Right on Time” by Jefferson Jay

Today is Day 180 for Operation 365 2. 180 is the unofficial number of turning things around. 180 degrees from wherever you are now is the opposite. Sort of, anyway, if you can apply math to life, it is. In a couple days, well be celebrating the halfway point of this project which is a red-letter sort of situation as well. 

I've been working on my skills making up songs on the spot and I think I'm finally making progress. I threw on the capo and hit it. Not a bad one at all. I've been practicing guitar and trying to expand my repertoire so I can do some fun things for you in the back half of this here Operation 365 2. 

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 180 “Ape Man” by The Kinks

The Kinks are great. My hero Chris Scelzo taught that too me as a young padawan. I have still so much to learn. Every day. Today, I strapped on the ape coat. It was a million degrees but I did for you. Then I sang the song. It was fun. What an amazing tune. I hope I play it again and again. Maybe even with The Jefferson Jay Band. There's a great video on YouTube of The Kinks playing it live in 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEep67akIn4

And there it is.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 180 “Trying Too Hard Not To Be Racist Is Racist”


I was shocked and dismayed to read they don't play "Ape Man" any more on the radio because it can be construed as offensive to black people. To me that thought is offensive to black people. What?!/ It is so convoluted it pains me to even begin to deconstruct the racism that makes a ban like that a reality. What? Let's dip our toe in the deconstruction waters. Just briefly. Just the tip. 

Some some racist morons long ago trying to say black people were apes... OK. That's stupid and ignorant and we've moved past that. At least people with functioning brains have. Now, back in 1970 a British band writes a tune. It's called "Ape Man" and by my limited understanding of the tune. It's about how humans act in an unevolved manner in a myriad of ways. It's a cute, funny, and deep (in its own way) little makes-you-think and smile song. Then what happened? Some overly sensitive people thought "black people" presumably, couldn't handle hearing this song? How many black people even listen to classic rock radio? I have no idea. But whoever does, is presumably so thin-skinned and stupid that they can't get that that song is not related to old racist mentalities that led to ridiculous slurs and that they can't understand for the,selves by listening to thew actual words that the tune is not racist in any way at all. In fact, it's all about how all of us are the same, unevolved apes. When we do things like this, "Ape Man" sounds like a prophecy. Who is being protected from what exactly. It's beyond me. 

Then again, maybe the Internet lied. Maybe it's not banned form anywhere. Maybe I was baited by a stray YoutTube comment or some other We-based truth mirage. One can hope. One can dream

Accepting everyone. Loving everyone. Trusting folks enough to allow them to decide for themselves what's best. That's true freeness. Not banning things you think people can;t take. 

No comments: