Thursday, June 23, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 182

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 182 “Aged” by Jefferson Jay

Welcome to Day 1 of this “Halfway Done with 365 Celebration” Yes, 365 does not split evenly in two, therefore, Day 182 and Day 183 are halfway twins as we turn the corner and head for home, some 550 videos in. I wish I had something more spectacular to share today, but I must remind myself, it’s not about that. Nope, it’s about doing it every day. Showing you can. Always being there for folks, whether they want you there or not.  It’s about a creative journey, a productive journey. What is great art? I explored this theme a lot in 365 1. It is entirely subjective. You can never please everyone. Please yourself. Be kind to all, but please yourself. It’s one way of life, anyway. I guess some people out there still prefer to be dicks. That’s another way. It’s all subjective. Well, more so with art. Less so with dickheadedness. Opinions everywhere. Look out! I’m not even sure what I’ve done today Tie to find out, I suppose.

OK, “Aged” is a tune I improvised earlier. It is this process of recording and sharing these songs that separates them from simply being lost thoughts from my mind. These are tunes. I can go back and edit them later. Every tune I wrote form the first 365. There were 211, I went back and checked. The ones I liked, many of which were improvised, I learned, right off of the video. I transcribed the words, I figured out the chords. They’re tunes. You can change them later if you want to. Or not. That’s the beauty of arting. It’s totally up to you and right is whatever you do.

Another unique art approach I use is present in this tune. The chords to “Aged” are A-G-E-D. Yep. It can be that simple. I remember I was talking songwriting with San Diego songwriting legend and I shared with him this method I use for writing songs from time to time. He was taken aback. He’d written tunes a million ways, but never that way. What a great guy to talk songwriting with. I am blessed. We all are. Aging is a gift. Nothing is guaranteed. Everything’s a bonus.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 182 “What Am I Gonna Do For You?”

In this brilliant piece of cinematography, I wander around my zone and try to figure out what I’m going to do for my cover this evening. It is highly enlightening. Great art begats more great art… or something.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 182 “Edelweiss” by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein


Here, destiny leads me straight to “Edelweiss.” I did what I could to make my rendition of it entertaining for you. You can decide for yourself though. In looking up who wrote this tune, (I assumed it was a Austrian anthem from centuries ago), I learned that “Edelweiss” was last song Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote together because Hammerstein died of stomach cancer months later. Whoa. For them, “Edelweiss” meant they were done. For me it is just the beginning, the beginning of the second half of your Operation 365 2.

No comments: