Saturday, June 11, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 170

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 170 "Nostalgia" by Jefferson Jay

I’m a nostalgic guy. I went and got my Master’s degree in History because I am interested in what happened in the past and what that might mean about the present and the future. Nostalgia is a special slice of history. It is transportive. It can be a melody or an old commercial but that is all it takes to take you back 30, 40 years.

Today is a friend’s annual backyard concert. Many old amigos from the matchless Portugalia Era will be on hand and it is always an honor and delight to be with those old friends. Nostalgia that takes you back is like time travel or a magic carpet ride, but to be able to sip drinks and break bread with friends from a bygone day is a truly transcendent way to celebrate “the old day.”

Some specific nostalgic bits that rear their heads in this number include an old marionette TV show from PBS called “Vegetable Soup.” I believe. The chorus is set in a giant teacup ala Alice in Wonderland or Edith Ann, perhaps. Lite-Brite, Three’s Company, it’s all there, a nostalgic soup, if you will. I’m the kind of guy who cranks all the old TV theme songs of the 70’s and 80’s in a town every few months. It never fails to take me back, finding me near tears from all those feelings and thoughts left so long ago.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 170 “Hey Baby”

I was quick to the ready for my 365 today. My wife was also preparing for her day. A shower, some seduction to lure me from my duties. She inched dangerously closer. I warned her, “We’re filming,” lest she find herself in some fappening-type of sorrow on the other side of fortune and fame. So instead, she giggled. And the band played on.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 170 "Amarillo By Morning" by George Strait

Been toying some once again this week, with playing songs I have no idea how they go. My pal, Dan was quite amused with his rendition, of "Amarillo By Morning," as he had actually heard the song before and mine sounds nothing like it. I slowed it down some just to get less speed and more country out of the moment. I still haven’t heard it. Folks request. I play. Fini.

I made it look trippy like a bad acid trip mixed with way, way, way too much Pepsi. Enjoy. If we don’t make the moment our own, and do something interesting with it, who will? I say, “Let’s not find out.” It’s our time. Let love shine. 

No comments: