Sunday, January 3, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 10

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Bonus - 10 "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" by John Denver So it's the final Sunday of the NFL regular season. I'm from New Jersey and while, not a Jet fan, I have close friends and family who are, so I pull for them. It makes their perennial disappointment less off-putting from a personal perspective. I'm glad I chose not to root for them when I was 9. Anyway, so a Jet victory would have meant a play-off spot for Gang Green but they choked. They blew it. They spit the bit. Same old Jets. I like to be topical and relevant at least a tad here in 365 land so I decided I'd do "Leavin' on a Jet Plane." Alas, I must have had a similar urge on Day 201 of the first 365 and I failed to check until it was too late. So, here is another "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" and another BONUS track to Operation 365 2. Poor Jets. Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 10 "Cosmos" by Jefferson Jay Some days are gung-ho 365 days. Others are Sundays or the day after New Year's Eve. We rise and represent regardless. Here, I fished out an old tune from many, many moons ago. You may remember the old band I mentioned I had yesterday. Well, like many break-ups, it got ugly. This was my band break-up song. I haven't shared it with anyone ever really and now, it's about 18 years old. I wrote it in an old club called Cosmos in San Francisco, which I have no idea if it still exists. The band hadn't broken up yet when I wrote it, but it was about to and I knew it. I am very glad to say, this ex-bandmate and I are pals again and that I don't have problems like these to write songs about in my current life. Writing songs is a healthy way to process less than ideal feelings. It's healing. It's what songwriters do. Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 10 "Happy Birthday Alan and Brent" So I'm standing in front of my house, playing my 365 and whatnot when a couple local acquaintances rolled by. They were, no doubt, amused by my impromptu front yard recording session and one friend, Scott, saluted me by pulling his top up and showing me his man boobs. I mentioned it the lyrics. They were heading down to a jam that is ongoing at Winston's in honor of Brent Gutzwiller and Alan Goodman's birthday. Both very friendly talented OB musician dudes. OB is short for our neighborhood of SD, Ocean Beach. So cheers to you gentlemen and a very Happy Birthday and a great 2016 to Alan, Brent and alls y'alls. Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 10 "Jet" by Jefferson Jay This was the tricky one of the day. This was my first thought on what song to play today to salute the New York Jets' embarrassing ineptitude. I practiced it a little bit and wasn't feeling it and moved on to "Leavin' on a Jet Plane," which was terrific until I checked and found out I'd already 365'd that tune last time. Bummer. I was all de-suited and everything. So I got redressed and headed back out to the lemon tree vicinity to do "Jet." I learned I don’t really like this song. I don’t really know what he's talking about and it's silly. As far as McCartney tunes go. "Jet" is a lot closer "Wonderful Christmas Time" than "Blackbird," or even "Live and Let Die," for that matter. Someone walked by while I was singing it and I felt foolish. It takes a lot for me to feel foolish. So I offer an abridged edition of "Jet" complete with sorrow-laden shout-outs to The Jets, our San Diego Chargers, said to be petitioning for relocation to LA tomorrow, and the NFL regular season as a whole. It was a rough one and by that I mean hundreds of gifted professional athletes suffered devastating brain injuries. Enjoy the play-offs.

No comments: