Thursday, January 7, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 14

365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 14 "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden


Had ourselves a brief hiatus on the zany weather in Southern California this afternoon. I took the opportunity to hop outside and bring you my lounge-inspired take on Soundgarden's classic "Black Hole Sun." I love this tune. Big fan of Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and the grunge sounds of the early 90s. Nice job writing this one, Chris Cornell. Pretty cool.

I even liked the video for this tune. For a guy who makes a lot of "music videos," I sure don't know too much about current ones. Maybe this project is more of a living history than a bunch of music videos... My wife Leanne just said my fast folky version of this tune was "great." It is these types of comments that fill the fuel tank of the 365. Now she's talking about snot... 

365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals "Play the Game" by Jefferson Jay

I was at work today playing some music for some of my special friends after lunch. I launched into this "made-up" tune, meaning I hit record and wrote it. It is one of the ways to reach 365 tunes in a project of this nature. I wrote many like that for the last 365. In fact, I am currently recording a CD of tunes written for that last 365 and a handful that I wrote that way are included. Who knows? Maybe "Play the Game" will be on a Jefferson Jay CD some day, Life is pretty exciting and unpredictable, I must say. Cheers to Ed Grimley and my special friends, some of whom can be heard singing back-up on this here number.

365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 14 "Metal Musings"

What is a word? Words are tools we used to attempt to express ourselves and be understood. So in that sense, music is a word. The sounds are extremely open to interpretation. One man's metal is another man's Miles. Like words, people receive different words, different way, different places at different times. One of my special friends quite likes metal and especially likes that whole singing like a dog thing many metal-singers choose as their method of expression. See? One man's metal is another man's Manilow. Who's to say what's right? Not I. So today, I offer some exploratory metal musings in dropped D and maybe it will mean something moving to you. For my friend John, that's what it tends to do.

No comments: