Thursday, January 28, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 35

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 35 “Bang Bang” by Blowski


Had a blast playing a tune by my friend Robin Lee yesterday, so decided to keep it going with the friend jams with “Bang Bang.” Back in 2009-2010, I had the pleasure of being the drummer in Blowski’s band, Acoustic Booze. It was an awesome experience to share with him and our fellow Boozers, Dylan Avery, Adrianna Martin-Morningstar, Patricia Mueller, Nancy Truesdail, Paul Ruiz, and The Soul Man. I first met this tune then. I’ve been playing “Bang Bang” on guitar for a little while and I enjoy playing it very much.

Nice job, Ski.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 35 “Sweet You” by Jefferson Jay

It’s nice to have a large bundle of tunes to choose from every day when it comes time to play my original for the day. Many tunes I’ve liked and played. It’s good to savor this now because in 200 or so more days, they’ll all be gone and I’ll have 130 more to go. Why do this? Because I can.

“Sweet You” was inspired by San Diego/Eagles songwriting legend Jack Tempchin. I’ve had the pleasure of talking songwriting with him a handful of times. It’s pretty awesome. This tune was not inspired by any of those talks though. We stay in touch some and I asked him where I could send him my new Hallelujah Expressway CD. You can hear it here. I highly recommend it. www.bandcamp.jeffersonjay.com The place I sent it ended in “Suite U.” From that this tune was born.

I wrote about half of a screenplay called “Gullible.” It’s about a guy who believes and does everything everyone tells him. “Sweet You” comes from that movie. Our protagonist overhears as a neighbor girl is strumming this tune on her guitar. Unbeknownst to her, he is doing everything the lyrics say. At the end of the tune, he jumps off the roof and she runs to check on him and they fall in love.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 35 “Sweet Lou”

When I was a young Yankee fan, Reggie, Goose, Guidry, Randolph, Nettles… all of them, were winning titles. None of them were my favorite though. I liked Piniella. “Sweet Lou,” the fans chanted when he stepped up, like he did in right field twice, big time, during the 1-game play-off with the Sox in ’78. “Louuuuuuuuuuuuuu.” Great stuff. He also through fits and bases as a World Champion manager for 1990 Cincinnati Reds

Also, great stuff, is this here hard-hitting interview with LouDog. Maybe you’ve heard of his old band, Sublime. I tried to ask him all the tough questions. This video may not be for the faint of heart. Please leave this type of interview work for the professionals. I repeat, please do not try this at home. Lou eats wood and is built like a bowling ball. He throws rights. And he’s not just giving up the answers either.


That said, we’re very excited to offer here one of these hard-hitting interviews that the Operation 365 may one day be known for. Enjoy a few moments with a true 365-favorite, Lou.

No comments: