Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 20

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 20 "Don and the 365" - 10-16-2015


So, seven years ago today, the earthly part of the world lost one of its’ greatest advocates when Don Truesdail passed away. A songwriter and freedom fighter, in the most artsy and traditional sense of the word, Don cared a lot and did what he could in his 34 earthly years to create and leave a legacy that will long outlive him. Much like David Bowie, Don did what he could in his time to leave and impression and make a positive difference. As his dear friend, I for one, greatly appreciate it.

Don referred to himself as a bard. Like many other Don things, for me to know what he actually meant, I had to study some. So “bard”, by definition, means

bard1 n
1.         in ancient Celtic culture, a poet who composed and recited epic poems describing important events
2.         a poet, especially one of national importance (literary or humorous)

So, Don wasn’t just writing songs for yuks. He cared and dared to try to make a difference.

bard2 n
a piece of armor for a horse

vt
1.         to put a bard on a horse
2.         to cover meat with fat before roasting it to prevent it from drying out

I highly doubt he meant that one, because Don didn’t eat meat.

The Operation 365 is all about everyone and this video, recorded at a tribute convert his widow, Nancy produced on 1-16-2015 explains in more detail than I ever realized I had, the deep connection between Don Truesdail and the Operation 365. It’s not too late to get to know, Don. Thank God! I strongly suggest it.

His 3 CDs can be found at www.truesdailstudio.com.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 20 “The Bastards” by Don Truesdail - 10-16-2015

Seven years ago today, one of my best pals, “The Parlor City Bard,” Don Truesdail passed away. Fortunately, he left behind a long legacy of love and music. His 3 thick, rich CDs are available at www.truesdailstudio. Each tune on each one of them is jam-packed with all the depth, truth, wisdom, knowledge and passion that Don brought with him everywhere he went. In New York City, 1961, Bob Dylan would have been his songwriting buddy instead of me. I’m extremely blessed and so was he. He woulda told ya himself, he was “living the dream,” like so many of transplanted east coasters in Ocean Beach and Southern California.

This is “The Bastards,” one of Don’s dark intense classics, one I’d wanted to learn for a long time. Here, I perform it at a show thrown in Don’s honor, featuring his music, at Across the Street, San Diego, CA on October 16, 2015 with the great Paul Ruiz on trumpet.

Hail forever.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 20 “You’re Innate”

Everybody has incredible abilities. Everybody is precious and crucial and it’s not too late to recognize that.

in·nate adj
1.         relating to qualities that a person or animal is born with
2.            forming an integral part of something
3.         coming directly from the mind rather than being acquired by experience or from external sources
4.         used to describe an anther that is joined to the filament by its base only
5.            forming an integral part of the thallus

Every single person is worth infinitely more than all the money in the world. I truly believe that. This song talks about that and wasn’t exclusively written ‘cause it gave me an excuse to sing a deep song where I sing words that sound like “urinate” over and over.

I am deep and mature.


Shout-out to my friend, Chase (also deep and mature), whose house I was at when I wrote this song. Also, to my special friend Eve, whose told me many times how much she digs this song.

No comments: