Monday, January 11, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 18

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 18 “Ziggy Stardust” by David Bowie

I awoke this morning to he news that David Bowie had passed away at age 69. He’d been on my mind recently as news of his birthday and his new record, “Blackstar,” were circulating this past few days. What a fabulous artist, a trail blazer, and a true original. If you want to open people’s minds you can try to pry them open bit by bit or you can throw them open like the Dutch Doors of an old time Western saloon. David did it that way. Suffice it to say, I noticed. Everyone did. I just made part of it, me. Colorful. Flamboyant. Expressive. A comet of a man.

Many years ago, in the early 90’s, some of the formative moments in which I fell in love with music, occurred in my basement room in The House of Love. That’s what we called my childhood home. Everything happened there, really. There, many of us youngsters would sit in awe as our pal, Chris Scelzo strummed the classics of the 70’s. We were mesmerized. It was such a thing, he made me a tape of some of the numbers so I’d feel more at home off at UMASS-Amherst. These classics included “Bell Bottom Blues,” ‘Sweet Home Alabama,” and “Ziggy Stardust.” It was awesome. It earned those tunes special places in my soul. It made them part of my home, my childhood and me. Thanks. Chris and thanks David Bowie. You set a magical example. Enjoy your graduation. Onward and upward.

Honorable mention to the Phish song, “David Bowie.” I love the holy heck out of that song. So many amazing experiences. Blessed life.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 18 “The Ice That We Skate” by Jefferson Jay

This is a song I wrote a few years back kicking on the boat of my friend Wes Davis. I was feeling the rocking of the waves, physically and artistically. Life is fragile and delicate, fleeting. This, we were reminded of today as David Bowie passed away at the age of 69 from a cancer nobody knew he had. I was feeling his presence and decided to go full regalia for today’s videos. I can vouch. Full regalia is fun. Dave was no dummy.

“Today is the ice that we skate. Today is the dinner and the plate,” say the lyrics of this song. We dance on blades on the ice of today, praying that it won’t soon be melting. Each meal, each moment, everything we have there and then, the dinner and the plate. That could be it. Savor each crumb. Savor the plate. Connections to boats, batteries, the frozen ground, the water beneath it, dinner, plates. They are everything. This is never clearer than in a moment of absolute awareness. Being. Om.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 18 “Angela’s Wisdom 1” 

I've been working on some music Mondays with my friend Angela recently. Angela really distinguished herself at Open Mic in recent months and it has been delightful to become her friends and watch her talents blossom. I've been realizing more and more that giving people opportunities is in large par, my special talent. I've been doing this for some years through Open Mics and other events, but it is just now that I am realizing how core it is to who I am and what I love to do.

So, in that ideal, I will let Angela share her positive outlook entering 2016 as the "Words" for today. And it could happen again. I like what she says. Uplifting stuff.

Attention all artists: I am excited to get more people involved, so if you want to participate in some 365, email me at jefferson@jeffersonjay.com 

Peace and love.

No comments: