Friday, January 29, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 36

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 36 “Axel F” – by Harold Faltermeyer

I think “Axel F” is the first tune I learned on any instrument. I must have been around 11. I remember figuring it out on the piano in my grandparents' house. I was no prodigy. It took me a long time to figure out. I never had a lesson. For many years, it remained the only tune I knew. Well, I picked up “Mary Had a Little Lamb” in there somewhere too.

I still play it about as well as I did in the 80s. Not super clean. I never even learned the change, but if you close your eyes and feel it, you can see Eddie Murphy scurrying around Beverly Hills, looking focused, on a mission. You can even feel it.

Thanks to Eddie Murphy and my Grandma and Grandpa and my dear friends at Jefferson Elementary School. After the “credits,” (which I got wrong, incidentally.... This is a cover, definitely not an original, not by me anyway…) After the credits, I shared the thing I played to warm up when I first sat down on the piano. It is evocative. It is based around the chords for my tune, “Wooden Boats,” from my first CD, “Great Story.” Enjoy.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 36 “A to Z” by Jefferson Jay

So I was playing me some piano on a break in the school day. After I busted out some “Axel F,” for old time’s sake, I launched into today’s original. I made it up, kinda missed my change the first time, but who’s to say. That may wind up being my favorite part of the song. It’s happened before. It is a practical manifestation of the whole “everything happens for a reason” mantra. Many say it, but I wonder how many truly believe it. I wish these types of things were more frequently discussed in modern day media and conversation. Like the real deep stuff, like why we’re here, and… stuff like that.

I only heard it the one time I played it. I’m sitting here wondering how it goes.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 36 “What Makes Great Art”


Doing it here and now is some and this video was actually inspired by a scene from one of my favorite programs, “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.” If TV goes away, they won’t be called “TV shows” anymore. Kinda like records. Zeppelin made records. I make CDs and even that… I guess we all make music… So on Wednesday’s “It’s Always Sunny,” Dennis reflects on what makes great art. What he said was reflecting on me. The glare was getting in my eyes. I liked it. I saw the light and wondered along with him here. It is highly subjective and not nearly as closely related to how much they get paid to do it as people often assume. I guess we just do because we do and what it means to other people is impossible to control. Doing it to do it. What makes great art?.?.

No comments: