Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 26

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 26 “The Big Leap”


These days, it’s fairly tragic, the way folks break up. It’s not that they break up that’s the problem. Of course, people break up. Everyone can’t stay together forever. It’s the breaking up and getting back together endlessly and destroying a good deal of their own sanity and dignity to this end, that I lament. I have seen it so many times that I expect and salivate at the thought that two adults could be mature enough to stop seeing each other before they’ve jumped the shark more times than all the worlds’ TV shows put together.

It’s sad because people usually have to have had a good deal of affection for one another to build up such intense feelings in the first place. It is such a shame to see things get so ugly. If you’ve broken up ten or more times, it’s probably not going to work out. Stop trying.

I wrote “The Big Leap” on stage at Open Mic many years ago, probably in 2012. I am glad it was recorded because I made up the whole thing on the spot and I liked it. I had to transcribe it off the initial recording. I have continued to play this song over the years and it was very fun to have the chance to play it here with two of my best friends and fellow Jefferson Jay Band members, Paul Ruiz (trumpet) and Dan Ratcliffe (guitar). 

Kindness, folks. It’s cool to be kind. Love isn’t having to say “F off” a thousand times.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 26 “Desperado” by Glenn Frey and Don Henley

I learned about 24 hours ago that Glenn Frey of the Eagles passed away. This discovery was a lot different for me than every previous time I’d ever heard a rock icon or celebrity had passed because Glenn Frey is a friend of friend of mine. Jack Tempchin, who I booked to play my Acoustic Evenings at The Athenaeum Series a number of times struck up a friendship and my heart immediately went out to him for the loss of his close friend and longtime songwriting partner. Jack wrote “Peaceful Easy Feeling and co-wrote a number of hits with Frey including “Already Gone,” “Smuggler’s Blues,” and “You Belong to the City” to name a few.

Jack and I hit it off. He even said he used to be me once to one of our audiences. I think by that he meant, a hustler/songwriter/Open Mic impresario who knew the folks around at the time. Jack just happened to know Jackson Browne, Tom Waits, Joni Mitchell and the Eagles. Those were his pals. He went up to L.A. a bunch I believe. Jack shared details of his songwriting sessions with Glenn in the context of the storytelling format of my Athenaeum shows and also some to me, socializing at other times. So, my heart really goes out to Jack, personally, for his loss and through him, I felt like I knew Glenn a little too. It is sad. Obviously.

“Desperado” has another significance for me as well. As a child I would drive around with my dad in his car and he would play Eagles Greatest Hits Vol. 1 in his car often. I bonded with “Witchy Woman” and over the years built a relationship between my Dad and our relationship and this beautiful song. So, I thought it would be a fitting one to share here today. Rest in Peace, Glenn. Very sorry for your loss, Jack.

I chose to play this one a bit faster because this song is so darn sad as it is, that I couldn’t even bare to play it at the right speed. We could all use a little levity during these dark moments, even if it’s forced to come in the form of a dozen or so extra beats per minute.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 26 “Glenn Frey and I” – Jack Tempchin - 10-5-2012

I was beginning to think about some words that would be appropriate to share today. I am not really feeling hilarious jokes, spiritual searching or political silliness in the wake of Glenn Frey’s untimely passing at age 67 yesterday. I felt like I knew Glenn a little through the friendship I’ve developed with Jack Tempchin, especially listening to Jack recall tales from long ago about writing songs with Glenn, as he does here.

Jack is not just a great songwriter, he is a great entertainer and a great communicator. Jack effortlessly has folks laughing out loud as he recaptures amazing story after another from his incredible life in and around rock n’ roll. I forgot I even had this footage. I’ve never shared any of it. While there are some Jack tunes recorded at this show that are as moving and impressive as anything I’ve posted in my over 1200 Youtube videos, I’m not sure Jack would want that, so I have no intention of posting any of them any time soon. Here, though, I thought a few words from Jack about writing songs with his friend Glenn would be better than anything I could possibly say.

Also, when you’ve got it you’ve got it and I think Jack says some brilliant things here, even taken outside the context of the short story his is telling. I think Jack has a gift for saying interesting provocative things, even when he’s not necessarily trying to. It makes him a really fun person to sit and talk to, especially about music and songwriting. I feel blessed to have had as many chances as I have to do just this. So, enjoy the story and the jewels of humor and wisdom that make it both humble and ornate.


So here, briefly, Jack recounts meeting with Glenn Frey to write what turned out to be “Smuggler’s Blues,” at his show at The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library, October 5, 2012. Rest in peace, Glenn. So sorry for your loss, Jack.

No comments: