Sunday, January 10, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 17

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 17 “Born in the USA” by Bruce Springsteen

Sometimes in a man’s 365, he just has to go for it. There isn’t always time for the anal-retentive “perfection,” so may of us seek. My friend Happy Bear frequently reminds me that “we’re all perfect,” and “we all already know.” I choose to go with that. Love that guy.

So when doin’ it and doin’ it and doin’ it every day (especially Sunday) sometimes you gotta grab life by the horns and blow. So here it is, today’s 365. May we all blow in one concerted gust of just wind. Whoa.

I was feelin’ all fired up about his tune 30-something years ago and today, I’m feelin’ fired up about slightly-lounge-inspired versions of beloved 80s jams. “Jump” yesterday and “Born in the USA” today. Hail Bruce. Hail New Jersey. Hail the USA.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 17 “Jim” by Jefferson Jay

Feeling awful inspired, I offer this song to my best “imaginary” friend, “Jim.” Borrowed from my dear pal, Paul Ruiz, Jim is very useful when one’s keys have been misplaced, when feeling frustrated cause you can’t remember something OR when some other human has forgotten the basic rules of driving. All of these circumstances can be made more tolerable, by simple invoking, “Jim.”

“Really, Jim.” I say it a lot. And while many of my nearest and dearest (my Dad, Destructo Bunny, the guy who put together the Bible and Geoff Stevens’ baby) all share this delightful moniker, this Jim is none of these. Jim, like life, is whatever you make it, May “he” serve you as well as he has served me. Whoa, Jim.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Words – 17 “Is God Named Jim?”

It’s really hard to say, isn’t it? Well, doesn’t mean we can’t continue to ask this and the other fine questions that titillate our universe? Hail Jim and the folks at Hess Brewing in Ocean Beach, who just called me to let me know I left my wallet there. Really, Jim….


No comments: