Monday, January 18, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 25

Operation 365 2... Blog 25

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 25 “I Have a Dream”


Been getting a little political in the Word part of the 365 the past few days and it’s fun. Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Here, I read Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech, initially uttered on August 28, 1963. The world has changed a lot since then. Thank God! We had a lot of room to improve. And still do. I have a dream of living in a world where people come together and lead and are led and work together, arm in arm, humble, toward the world of peace, harmony and equality that Dr. King contributed so mightily to before his tragic assassination on April 4, 1968.

We have many Dr. King’s in our world. Sadly, they remain closeted, embarrassed, or unaware of how they can contribute to our summating that mountaintop that Dr. King spoke of. I am coming out. I care and want to help. Everyone. Everywhere. I think it is urgent and I have a passion. I want to live in the world that actively seeks solutions to its ills. Where we out equality first and our focus towards delivering the love that exists to every corner of our universe, globe, nation and community. It is not too late. In fact, it is always the perfect time to arrive at the higher realization that we are still walking arm in arm with Dr. King towards those same goals. We just need to speak up and reawaken the spirits in us that want to celebrate arm in arm the greatness we’ve accomplished in our lives. The dream never dies and we need to rise up, awaken, share in the dream and end the hibernation. I dream of a bunch peace-hungry bears awaking all at once and marching toward that bright white light, arm in arm, everywhere.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 25 “Martin Luther King Jr.”

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day in 2012, I wrote a song with a bunch of youngsters. I was teaching at ARTS, then located in Liberty Station and our songwriting lesson/session culminated in this song about that fellow they’d learned about at school that day, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. This song illuminates the perceptions small children retain from these early history lessons. It was quite a delight. Thanks to Google for the images and Dr. King for fighting the good fight as peacefully and powerfully as he did. I look forward to the future. In my dream, your dream finds a sequel.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 25 “Blue Bossa” by Kenny Dorham

I love jazz. Rarely is it featured in ye ole 365. So today, I’m delighted to rectify. Here, Jefferson Jay Band members, Paul Ruiz, trumpet and Daniel Ratcliffe, guitar do the heavy lifting through this sweet standard, while I do my duty on the djembe. I didn’t know Kenny Dorham wrote this song, but now I do. Nice work, Ken. In further attempts to rectify, I lean on my man, ‘Peed. Wikipedia:

“McKinley Howard "Kenny" Dorham (August 30, 1924 – December 5, 1972) was an American jazz trumpeter, singer, and composer born in Fairfield, Texas. Dorham's talent is frequently lauded by critics and other musicians, but he never received the kind of attention or public recognition from the jazz establishment that many of his peers did. For this reason, writer Gary Giddins said that Dorham's name has become "virtually synonymous with underrated."[1] Dorham also composed the jazz standard "Blue Bossa," which first appeared on Joe Henderson's album Page One.”

Well, I’m glad I could contribute slightly to spreading the message of McKinley Howard "Kenny" Dorham. Sharing credit feels good. When we all walk arm in arm, it feels right.


No comments: