Thursday, January 14, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 21

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 21 “Use, Direct, Tire”


So I write a lot of positive songs, songs about being inspired and doing things that could help one to live a satisfying and rewarding existence. It may not be for everyone, but I like to think optimist-style. So, “Use, Direct, Tire,” while initially inspired by my favorite Eastern Massachusetts tire dealer, really means to use and direct your energies until you tire and then to get up and do it again the next day. It’s about taking your destiny into your own hands while working hard on causes you believe or while answering your muse

I do think it would be an incredibly wonderful commercial for Direct Tire though. Someone tell Barry Steinberg. I even added the irresistibly adorable British accent to amuse you and sell more rubber wheels.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 21 “Some Open Mic History” 10-16-2015

Here I am saying some opening words at a tribute concert for my friend Don Truesdail, held at Across the Street in San Diego on October 16, 2015. Don was an amazing singer/songwriter who passed away in 2009. At this show, Nancy Truesdail and I played about a dozen of his fine tunes. Here I set up the show with some history about how I met Don and Nancy and how we all wound up at the corner of Park and Madison on this October night.

I’ve been hosting Open Mics in San Diego for about 12 years. This story touches on how, where and why that came to be. It has had an enormous effect on my life, much more than I could have ever imagined. I feel humble and fortunate to have walked this road. Hail.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 21 “Hemophilia” by Don Truesdail - 10-16-2015

Don wrote some thick, dense tunes. I used to tease him about how scholarly and attentive one would have to be to understand him. We laughed about it. In retrospect it makes for a rich legacy. I believe he squeezed 12 albums worth of facts, fictions, ideas, opinions and beliefs into the three he recorded. Maybe many more. “Hemophilia,” in particular is like a novel.

I am so glad he took the time and care to leave such ornate and inspiring art behind. It is a gift that transcends life. I could tell you what “Hemophilia” is all about, but I won’t. I don’t want to deprive you the intellectual right to listen to decipher it for yourself. It’s worth it. Like anything you work for is, I suppose. Plus, Don didn’t want it to be easy to understand what he was talking about. He didn’t want it to be easy to cover his songs. He wanted it to be left for those who cared enough to really try to understand what he was saying and those who cared enough to figure out the sly, little subtleties that make his tunes harder to learn right.


He laughed about it. He was a wise man. Still is. So is Paul Ruiz, the handsome guy on the left with the trumpet. Two wise men. Mahalo.

No comments: