Saturday, January 23, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 30

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 30 “Wandering Johnny”


So, this morning, I gets up and heads out in search of my morning coffee. Shortly thereafter, my mind drifts to thoughts of the 365 and how I may be able to entertain my loyal “whoever’s watching” today. It occurs to me. I’m carrying a camera, a phone/ directions-advice/ newspaper/ weather-reporting camera. So I did what any self-respecting artist with a raspy morning voice would do and starting singing some inspired song about a miscellaneous man named Johnny. Johnny may have been a prodigal son of sorts to whichever character is singing this song. It is clear our narrator missed Johnny and is glad to have him back despite the fact that so much time has passed.

Then something dramatic happened. My camera filled up its space and stopped. So, I guess that’s the end of the story of “Wandering Johnny” for today. This is for the prodigal child in us all. Hail California and cheers to all the East Coast folks getting pummeled with snow this glorious day.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 30 “When Johnny Comes Marching Home” – Traditional

So, I’m guessing I still had Johnnies on the mind when I soul-searched for today’s cover tune. Fortunately, the universe co-operated and set this classic jam of the Civil War Era bouncing in my brain. Paraphrasing Wikipedia, folks missed their friends back in Civil War times and wrote and sang this jam about it. A dude named Patrick Gilmore is credited with writing the lyrics, but as is the case with many of these jams from long ago, the actual lineage is clouded in obscurity. How exciting.

In the spirits of our forefathers, may we all feel gay when Johnny comes marching home.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 30 “Mythical Johnny” by Jefferson Jay

Still feeling “Mythical Johnny” on this triumphant 30th day of the 365 2, SO I decided to grant him the trifecta, the hat trick if you will, of all 3 songs for this day. This Johnny as my improvised song went on and on began to feel more and more like my brother John, but I think it is even more so the 3rd piece of today’s “Johnny” saga. I found myself sing about “Johnny” as I walked down the street this morning. Then he came “Marching Home” all Civil War Style, making us all feel gay and finally, he gets this little blues song. Hail Johnny and to all the Johnnies out there from Johnnie B. Baker to snow New York City’s St. Johnnie’s, from Carson to Cash and from Appleseed to Knoxville, from Kanis, Janiga, Rodriguez, Ciemerataro to JFK himself, this bud’s for you.

No comments: