Monday, September 5, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 256

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 256 “Jimmy Was a Chimichanga”


Today is Labor Day. Out of respect for the holidays and all the folks who have previously labored, I will attempt to get through the 365 today, with as little work as possible. Wish me luck. Step One. Look through old videos for stuff I haven’t used yet.

“Jimmy Was a Chimichanga” was the one video I knew I had sitting around somewhere. It is hard to imagine how one could forget to include an original song about a chimichanga named Jim, but I did. Well, hopefully, Jim is not working, as it’s Labor Day. Do they have Labor Day in Mexico?

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 256 “Split Personality” by Clyde Leoppard

So, my dear friend Spencer Katzman, hit me up on the Facebook and wondered if I’d be playing the song we wrote 19 years ago, this weekend “Gentlemen Situation.” I thought about it, but that would take more work and that is not what Labor Day is all about. In fact, a similar approach is how the “Gentlemen Situation” song got written in the first place, but that is another story for another 365, most likely.

Instead, I went and rounded up some cover we played, during the incredibly brief time Spencer and I’s band, Elin Tea, went electric. Oh, the 1990’s. The name of the tune Spence brought to the band was “Split Personality.” Out of due diligence, I went to look up who wrote it, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Pink or Dr. Dre, who came up first in my hunt. Apparently, some rapper named Cassidy has one too. 

Ahh, the Internet. It giveth facts and it taketh them away. It says Clyde Leoppard wrote it, him and his Snearly Ranch Boys. Then again it also says it’s lyrics are, “Like a Doctor Jackel and Mr. Hi.” As much as I like to pretend the jackal is my spirit animal, (I have a song about it. Maybe I’ll share it soon.) I’m pretty darn sure those are not lyrics to this jam. Robert Louis Stevenson, anyone?

Damn son. I’ve been looking for pictures for Spence’s wedding last March for an hour now, just enough to fill in the 2 minutes of this song. I could have sworn I loaded them on to this here computer recently, but no dice. Damn, son.

Wow. That only took forever. So much for Labor Day. For some reason, the camera thought the picture we took in March 2016 were actually taken in November 2012. I can’t so much accept not being able to find things. It is the archivist in me. So I look and look and looked and looked and eventually, days later, I found what I was looking for. Whew.

Happy Labor Day to Spence, Josie and all the rest a ya’s every. Hail Princess Di.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 256 “Jacob Squat”

That took too long. I'm tired. It's Labor Day. I got nothing, but rest desire, so that's it. I'm off. I'm done. Seeya tomorrow. Enjoy yer relaxation. G'bye. Later.


No comments: