Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 272

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 272 “I’m Only Tired”


All's well, delightful in fact. Started rehearsal on “The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree 4: One for the Ladies” today. Richly rewarding stuff with my special needs superstars. I have Open Mic later. I want to continue my car hunt, in the sad wake of The Tealmobile’s impending demise. Alas, a boy needs rest. So this is how was inspired this afternoon. No calamities. No life or death situations. Just want to close my eyes and kick back and dream a little. Rejuvenation, my friends. This great life.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 272 “I’m Only Sleeping” by The Beatles


Shout-out to these lads from Liverpool on another of their masterpieces. To honor their numbers “I’m So Tired” and “I’m Only Sleeping,” I named my original for today, “I’m Only Tired.” Makes sense, right? Can’t blame a guy for seeking slick musical neighbors, at least alphabetically and subject-wise.

My greatest memories of “I’m Only Sleeping,” outside of countless crankings of “Revolver” feature one of my best pals Matt Reischling and I singing this tune (and others) as a chicken might, in our ground-breaking collaboration, Bock Rock. I believe we performed our Bock Rock version of “I’m Only Sleeping” once live at a place I used to love called LeStat's. So cheers to the years where that was a place I went and when Bock Rock filled the world with bock n' rock' n' roll. Nap's coming soon.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 272 “Tribute to Mark Turner”


I love my Open Mic people. I am extremely grateful to all of them for coming out and bringing their energies and enthusiasm to the Winston’s stage every Wednesday evening. So many interesting characters. It is quite a delightful pastiche. While everyone is great, there is only one Soul Man. 98 years old, a veteran of World War II and The Korean War, he has been my guiro-playing pal since 2000. We’ve been playing gigs and having fun together a good long time now.

While there is only one Soul Man, a number of terrific humans have taken turns driving The Soul Man to and from gigs the whole time I’ve known him. A partial list of these people who get why it is awesome to drive the Soul Man include Nico Gutierrez, Blowski, Mike Bumba, Travis Oliver and Mark Turner. Soul Man moved so now he often crashes on one of those last two fellas couches when he stays. Will you be willing to sleep on a friends’s couch for the chance to play an Open Mic and kick back some IPAs and tequila when you’re 98? Don’t feel bad. There’s only one Soul Man.


That being said, without everyone else, Soul Man and I could sit there, but it wouldn’t be the same. In fact, I’m sure I’d have been fired long ago. Long story short, I am tired today and need to grab some rest before Open Mic, but not before honoring one of Open Mic’s more unique individuals, Mark Turner. Shout-outs to him and his brother, Fusilage, who also sounds a little like this. Here is my a capella “Tribute to Mark Turner.”

No comments: