Sunday, September 18, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 269

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 269 “Ode to an Old Van”


Sundays are the hardest day to 365. Some day, most folks gotta rest. Then again, you bust it out. You get back to regularly scheduled program. Here we go. I woke up with this cute song in my head called “269” or “To 69”… Who knows? It was a cute little pun fest and I even went for it. I think I may include it after the curtain in my words video.

Had a great gig at Mother’s last night. It was tons of fun. We played ‘til 1 AM and were still up and at it at 3. That ONLY happens on days we have gigs at this point. It is nice to have a job that forces to you to deeply penetrate the AM. I like to think of myself as an AM guy, but I do most of my doings in the PM these days. I feel like I’m grandfathered in as an AM guy due to all my contributions as a youth.

Well, in any case, during the first 365 in 2011, I picked up a Volkswagen Eurovan. MV. I named it The Tealmobile. My then future wife taught me to drive stick on it, after I already owned it. It led us on an outstanding musical adventure to Humboldt County in April 2011 and I am saddened that a local mechanic and numerous others have advised me that it’s time to let go. Begrudgingly, I am coming to accept this reality, but I am a simple man, a simple loyal man, who appreciates allegedly inanimate objects that keep me alive each day. Thanks Shaquille O’Teal. Our journey isn’t over yet. Thanks for the rides to and from the gig last night. I will always love you. Hope you like your first song. Five years is a great place to reflect. Too bad it’s coming to so close to the end of our ride.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 269 “Loyalty”

Sometimes you get more than you pay for. I got an extremely generous deal when I bought my beloved Teal Eurovan, aka The Tealmobile in 2011. Despite dumping large amount of dinero into it’s upkeep I still feel fortunate for having these five years together. It seems, alas, that era is about to end. Here I tribute and lament the loss. More importantly, I discuss my views on loyalty. I am a huge proponent, particularity with people, but not exclusively. I think most people feel loyalty to their pets but I do not stop there. Cars keep us alive, every day, against odds, folks. It’s dangerous out there. Cars travel over 80MPH, and frankly, tons of folks are not paying any attention at all. There is a lot to be grateful for every time you unbuckle that seat belt and set your feet back on that precious pavement.

I kid not. I am deeply grateful and appreciative. That is why it is actually hard for me to break off and say good-bye. I am, at this point, much more disheartened about the loss of my loyal friend than I am excited to get what will inevitably the nicest car I’ve ever owned, at least on paper. So here it is, my spiel on “Loyalty,” backed by a rare B-side of my “269” song that was in my head when I woke up hours ago. Peace, yo.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 269 “Never Smile at a Crocodile” by Jack Lawrence


I guess I ought to look up who wrote “Never Smile at a Crocodile.” It was… Did you know it was a deleted song from “Peter Pan?” I had no idea. We sang “Never Smile at a Crocodile” in elementary school. How did they find it, I wonder? Anyway, it’s Sunday, the laziest of Operation 365 days, and I decided I was going to play whatever cover popped into my head, with little to no regard for how the music actually goes.

That worked out reasonably well… Here, I made it minor. I could only remember the first verse, so I sang it twice and improvised some other theoretical or “adapted” if you prefer, verses. So, there ya go….Don’t smile at ‘em, folks. Don’t even say later to ‘em, unless you’re down to table with Darth Vader, which if you know what’s good for ya, you’re not.

Further research led me to learn, “Never Smile at a Crocodile” appeared instrumentally in Peter Pan. It was also on The Muppet Show. I think I’ll have to play The Muppet Show Theme for you soon. Jack Lawrence wrote the lyrics. Frank Churchill wrote the music I didn’t use.

No comments: