Thursday, September 8, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 259

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 259 “Jane Says” by Jane’s Addiction


 
Jane’s Addiction was definitely one of the cooler bands around when I went to UMASS in the early 90’s. Some of my truly hip friend with older siblings even knew about them when we were still in high school. “Ritual de lo Habitual” and “Nothing’s Shocking” got cranked a lot. Even their weird movie “The Gift” got watched some. As an old teenager, lots of folks told me I resembled Jane’s frontman Perry Farrell. One time, some years later, I saw him a party in San Francisco. That night, he looked much better than I did. That’s an understatement.

We got to play before Jane’s Addiction as a big show on a side stage some years ago. It was fun. They were amazing live. “Jane Says” is a two-chord masterpiece. How I didn’t run into it during the first 365 is a mystery that will forever remain unsolved.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 259 “The Jackal"


Yesterday, I was the lion. Today, I am the jackal. That’s what we learn in a decade, that we’re not as big as we thought and we may be a dog and not a cat. I can buy it. I was enjoying some Parks and Rec on Netflix and they got into an episode about what they’re spirit animals were. I became intrigued and thought, maybe my spirit animal is a jackal. Research began. Then I wrote a song about what I learned. It even says that in the first two lines. This is also the only song I’ve ever written that features the phrase “urine and feces” Congratulations world, another great day! Accomplishments abound!

I forgot how the end went. It has some weird chords I forgot. So I made it up, musically. I think it works fine.



Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 259 “Riveting Banter”

So it's about 4PM. Yankee baseball is about to begin. Yet, I find myself in the familiar predicament of needing to spit out a few words of wisdom first before I can finish my functional fun for the afternoon. So with al the pressure on, like Game 7, 2 on, 2 out, game on the line, I stepped up to the plate and said some words. Heroic. American pride welled up within me. I spoke. 

No comments: