Sunday, November 13, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 325

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers – 325 “Fresh as a Sweet Sunday Morning” by Bert Jansch


I love the mystery of life. I love how it takes you places daily you never could have imagined going otherwise. This phenomenon is as obvious as ever these days. #TrumpWorld

A project like the 365 forces the hand of fate. It creates circumstances in which you must expand your horizons: discovering music, connecting with others, playing more music. So, today, Sunday, the hardest of all 365 days, beckoned. It did just beckon. It Odell Beckoned… Junior. OK, I’m watching football. It’s a guilty pleasure, like eating delicious meats in a way. I love them and I grew up with them. That’s what makes it so much harder to not eat cows and not support concussion devastation ballgames. Like I said, life is complicated and full of mysteries. Be happy. Love life.

Lots of folks are fighting with each other and having fits about the election. I’m not sure how that’s constructive. There would be such things as tangents if we weren’t all ONE.

So… where I’m really going with this is, I’m a nostalgia guy. I guess we all are. #TrumpWorld. I wonder how reality televisions and real estate prepare one for running the largest military in the world. Consider this wondering aloud. 58,600,000 people or so thought that was fine. I imagine/hope it will be. So history guy me went looking this Sunday morning for a song from the Flower Drum Song soundtrack, which if I correctly recall, was titles, “Sweet Sunday.” Surprising it isn’t that the chords for this pertinent piece of popular music (maybe 50 years ago) were not easily available.

I was in this play in high school, sophomore year. A curious choice it was, a play full of Asian characters in a pretty white town. The only actual Asian in it, the director made the bad guy. I covered “Oh, Happy Day” from this musical in the first 365. That was the number I was in. Small part.

So what I found instead was this. “Fresh as a Sweet Sunday Morning” by Bert Jansch. What is this song? Who is Bert Jansch? How does it really sound? I have no clue. But I played it anyway. Twice. By the second time, I even had a feel for how it goes, well for how my version goes anyway. My wife even liked the tune. Nice tune, Bert Jansch, whoever you are. No offense if you’re really famous and I just never heard of you. I don’t know any Kanye West or Jay-Z songs either, so you’re in good company. I just pay attention to my life more these days, and other people’s lives, less.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 325 “The Parents’ Theme”


So, in case you didn’t know, I work with special needs adults a few days a week. It is a fabulous, deeply gratifying and rewarding job. One of my jobs is a write and direct the Christmas musical. It is a huge bunch of fun. I initially intended to fill the last months of this project with songs from the various volumes of “The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree.” Ultimately, I changed my mind. I decided to not give everything I’ve ever done away for free, which is what I’m doing here daily, in a way.

So I saved those numbers instead, with only an exception or two. “The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree” is a feel-good, positive, snow-forest set musical. It features a family, The Pearls, and a set of colorful snow characters, who sing songs, learn lessons, and love life. “The Parents’ Theme” plays at the beginning of each episode and before the final scene. It sets us near the fireplace in the living room of the family home on Christmas Eve. All episodes take place on Christmas Eve. That’s it for today. This is a taste spoon, essentially, a teaser. I’d love to make these Christmas musicals the first TV show ever, featuring exclusively special needs actors. If you’re interested in knowing more, or helping out, hit me up. The time is now to make our drams come true.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 325 “Sum Cords”


Here’s sone Sunday chords, I was feeling today. More than any words, riddle, riffs or other rhythms, I felt this, and I would be remise to not share this here with you. Keeping it real. Loving it true. Sunday and smooth. Hail Conor McGregor and Dave Chappelle, the stars of yesterday, literally.

Hail Dak Prescott, hopefully the star of today. The lone star.


Oh, note, I was feeling like changing it up for today and keeping my head and opinions to myself, so I went headless for today’s videos. See me tomorrow.

No comments: