Sunday, November 20, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 332

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers – 332 “No Rain” by Blind Melon



So I live in San Diego, a place where it never rains. Even when it looks like it's going to rain, it rarely does. Last night, I was driving home from the zone of our dear friends, The Hunseys, flipping through the radio station and I heard a song by Blind Melon. I had no plans for the next day's (today's)365, and I recalled my long-time, New Jersey hometown amigo, Jason Patterson, had requested “No Rain.” It was in my head when I woke up, aiming to recall my thoughts for the day.

So, I toyed with a few version. Back when this song came out, around 1993, I played it some with my friend Deek, at UMASS-Amherst, The Zoo. That was a long time ago. The Hunseys went to the zoo yesterday. Hippos, Tigers, Gorillas, oh my. Back then, I didn't play guitar. I just sang. and I sang in that higher register with no hesitation. I practiced a lot then. I had to. Now I play. I work and I play. This is both. Vote Both. So we sail in small circles, always returning home, again and again. The sky opened up some while I prepared this video, and it's rained a bit more as I'm writing this right now. The church bells nearby announce that it is noon. High noon.

Rain on, Great Sky. Go Cowboys. Dez gets the touchdown. I started Golden Tate instead. Life is a fantasy. Love is real. Hail.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 332 “Leaving Bakersfield”



One time, I was visiting my wife's home zone of Ridgecrest, California. She was my girlfriend at the time. I was kicking it with her Dad some, all-time cool dude, Tom Pearl, and next thing you know I was putting music to these words he'd written down awhile ago. I had ben hanging on to this one, hoping to do wit with him on trumpet, but today its number was called. I may have waited but a few days more, til Thanksgiving. We'll be here. We coulda done it, but alas, we'll need another song for Turkey Day, 'cause today I'm “Leaving Bakersfield” all by myself. Only 33 days left. Tomorrow is Day 333. It's time to go. It's go time.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 332 “The Meanings of Words”


Folks, so much is in question lately. So much questioning, but there could be so much more respect. So much Internet battling, but so few face-to-face discussion between folks of differing opinion, leading greater understanding. This can happen, folks it's never too late. In fact, I believe we're just getting started, One particular bit of confusion from last week involved NBA star LeBron James, legendary NBA coach Phil Jackson and a dispute over the word posse. I think Phil and LeBron are from different places and times and words can change meanings. Words can have different meanings to different people. It happens every day. Let's relax and stop bickering. Let us common ground. It is far too easy to find ways in which we disagree. That brings us no closer together. Shall we see the big picture. Let's all be a posse, one big peace-seeking posse, the reveals the world for what it truly is, ONE place with ONE people, US. Praise be. Hallelujah! Sweet Sunday!

No comments: