Saturday, November 26, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 338

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers – 338 “Rocky Raccoon” by The Beatles



I had some cover I was going to do that tied into all of this I think. I believe the point was going to someplace in your mind. Transporting, if you will. I considered “Puff the Magic Dragon” and “Xanadu,” both already done by me, before shifting my attention to work on this “Original” below. The point was we can go anywhere in our mind and with our bodies any time we like. It is just a matter of setting a course and… go!

So just now, I went back in time to the early 2000’s when… no matter, what cover was I going to do? Hmmmm…. You can go some other place in your mind. What song says that? Where was I going to go? Whatever it was, it led me to “Poetry.” Babylon? A-ha. I remember. It was no cove at all. It was an original. I was going to go to “Encinitas.” Dear amigo, Travis Oliver requested that number ‘cause he wants to go there, musically, by inventing a bluegrass version. So the cover was in fact, no cover at all. Square One! Alas, I did not need an original at all and I still need a cover. And what to do about “Encinitas” now that I just spent an hour preparing “Poetry?” I’m glad I have the “day off.”

So much for a day off. Now I’m thinking I still need to do “Encinitas” and I legitimately considering doubling up on ye’ ole 365 today. Ironically, that would mean I’d need to do another cover. Hold. Reconsidering… Reconsidered. Tomorrow. “Nigel Vision” Encinitas”… Yes, tomorrow.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Originals - 338 “Babylon & Poetry”


Lest anybody think for a second that I don’t have WAYYYYY more stuff to share, even when Operation 365 2 is over, fear no more! I many be the world’s unsung Content King. It is possible. Here is a little treasure I dug up from the early 2000’s after I moved to San Diego. Today’s point was about how we can travel forward and back through time in our minds. Just now, I went everywhere, back to the late 90’s when Spencer Katzman and I wrote this song. I went, with the aid of pictures, back to high school, college, and many stations beyond those early outposts. Thanks to everyone added to life at that time, whether they enjoyed it or not. We were learning. We all had our moments. Still are.

Special salutations to Charles Johnson, drums, Joannes Berque, bass, Sadi, sax and keys for joining Spencer and I for on that humble day long ago when we recorded “Babylon and Poetry.”

Folks, I have a lot more to give. 16 Christmas musicals, countless pages of written words, poetry and otherwise, limitless love, tons of tunes not touched in the 730 songs of these two 365s. Hit me up. I’m down to collab, or score your movie or co-write your musical, or star in it, Heck, you need a swell band. We are here for you. XOXOXOXOXO.

Most of these images were from the Elin Tea Era. Elin Tea (pronounced Tay-Uh) was the name of the band I shared with Spencer and Derek Speredelozzi. If you were around then, you may be featured here too. Special shout-out to my curmudgeonly poetry professor at Humboldt State, Jim Dodge. He inspired these lyrics with his stubborn insistence that there was only one was to write poetry, explicitly so audiences could understand your exact message. No room for interpretations or double meanings in Jim Dodge’s school. I objected. I love to play with words and embrace the fact that everything means something different everyone. I’m glad I made the opportunity to express these misgivings to him directly. No need to be carrying that around so many years later. Now what cover was I going to do again? Probably something that didn’t require much playing, I gather.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words– 338 “Quick, I Need Your Help”


I’m fairly certain this is the most serious video I’ve posted thus far in ye ol’ 365. I am in really dire need of your help here. Any aid would be greatly appreciated. I just have no idea whatsoever what is happening. I am stupefied. Stupefying Jones…. They called me that in high school. Thank you so much for your help. It means everything and that’s no bull…

I was going to use the “Poetry” song to set up me reading some poetry here in the “Words” section. Somehow, my extensive depth as a human got me sidetracked down this tangential road. I was going to write about how poetry” is another place we can go in our minds. Like “Encinitas” and the old days. Sometimes, things just don’t go the way you had planned. 

NOTE: Had deeply dabbled with the notion of doubling up today and doing 6 videos instead of 3. I sort of am still doing that, as I believe I will make 6 today, and take more time to relax tomorrow.

No comments: