Sunday, March 13, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 101

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 109 Four Gypsy Guys I Think Are French 1-31-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J70ku5AwkVQ

I would feel worse about forgetting these guys' names if I'd ever known them in the first place. These guys showed up in OB and were all of a sudden playing all over the town, in the streets, wherever. I booked Karla Mi Lugo, a new fast, friend of theirs, and she asked if they could come play too, and I said sure. I remember that they were French, I'm pretty sure. I think we spoke some French a little, un peu, if you will. I hope they are doing well. If anyone knows them, or their names, specifically, tell me and I will add them to these comments right here. This was filmed at one of my Sunday night shows on January 31, 2010. Peace

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 109 "Goodbye Cruel World" by Pink Floyd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5n3B7cgN6E

This little gem may be the depressing peak of the greatest album of all-time, Pink Floyd "The Wall." Disc One ends with our anti-hero, slitting his wrists in the bathtub, only to emerge in Disc Two as some neo-Hitler type character who takes over the world until he has to face "The Trial." Nothing is better to help one through a dark time than deeply disturbed and depressing music. "The Wall," in particular lifted me up through some of my darkest hours.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 109 "Firecracker Jack-O-Lantern"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JNP8S1E_C8

I have this one class that inspires me to create. Twice, I've penned tunes for them lickety-split, and they seem quite enamored with the experience. They oooh and aaahh even after the song is finished as I transcribe it from the board into my laptop at warp speed. They're like, "how do you do that?" I say "practice."

This song, "Firecracker Jack-O-Lantern" was a rare one that I started with the title and went from there. It tells the story of some kids who get what they have coming when they take to the streets misbehaving on what me and my friends back in Jersey used to call, Goosey Night, the night before Halloween. Don't worry. I explained to the kids that this is just a song and they should never do any of hte things any of the charaxcters in this song do, ever.

No comments: