Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 118

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 126 Behind The Scenes - 4-2-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX4SSQPiMwc

So I've shown a lot of videos from the sound board area of Portugalia, the restaurant where I used to work. This was one of those rare occasions where I grabbed the camera and roamed through the room a bit saying hello to faces and friends. Blowski, Carlos Soriano, Destructo Bunny, Patricia Mueller, Dan, Amanda Sperry, Chris Zach, Leticia, Olga Cortes, The Soul Man and many more make appearances on a Thursday night roughly two years ago, April 2, 2009.

Enjoy a behind-the-scenes thrill and maybe see some faces you haven't seen in a while. I did. Things change. God bless life. It would be so boring if they didn't. Peace to all everywhere.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 126 "Oh, Susanna" by Stephen Foster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMpdEBtd8LM

I was humming this tune today when time came to pick out a cover. How fortunate. I found it quickly in one of my elementary school music textbooks I have been using these days. It was fun and easy. Insert your own punch line there. I came up with this one today. "Good thinkin', Abe Lincoln." Not bad, eh? Blowski and I just went and bought some yarn and stopped by The Soul Man's. Shout-out to Natalie on Joann Fabrics for the knowledge on the cruelty-free yarn. Keep on!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 126 "A Song"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiu9ZEB9cy8

This one's a little bit of a long story, but I have a minute so here it goes. I came up with te music to this a long time ago. I'm thinking like Winter '96 or '97, maybe. I was hanging with Dahlgrens as I was fortunate to do around Christmas in those your years a couple times. I remember looking at the ocean with Kirsten and realizing what Christmas was like in California and being speechless. I remember recording an early version of this with Lars,like it was yesterday. I waited years to choose lyrics for this one because I wanted to make sure that when I did, the ones I chose were right.

A couple years later, I think it was 1999, I went hiking with my friend, Jen Keely, in Ramapo, NJ. It was late in the day and we made our way up this little mountain. We hiked. I'm pretty sure my puppy Angel was with us, but I'm not certain. Jen brought this book of poetry by W. B Yeats and I brought my guitar. When we got to our spot we liked, we sat and she read some. When she read this one I liked called " A Song," I suspected those lyrics might fit this piece of music I'd had waiting, perfectly, I tried it out and they did. I was happy. and then it began to lightly rain. Always a sign that good things are happening.

I was sorta saving this one a little bit. I don't play it much these days but I like it a lot. This version is OK. When it came time to play my original this is what I thought of and this is how it came out. We are getting ready to go one tour of California this weekend, so things have been a little busy. Alas, the 365 can not wait for perfection. Every day for a year is a lot of time. SO here is a decent version of a tune I like a lot that means a lot to me. Thanks W.B. for the lyrics loan. Here is "A Song." It is about mortality... I believe.

Oh, yeah. Everything is perfect. I forgot.

No comments: