Friday, March 11, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 99

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 107 Justin Mills - "Saving Up" - 12-11-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uvwv-pc0jE

This clip is sort of a Part Two to yesterday clip of Justin Mills from 12-11-2008. This song, "Saving Up," immediately followed, "Stick Around," two awesome Justin Mills classics. Justin is again joined by Wes Davis, fresh back from a Tahitian adventure, on harmonica and tambourine. I miss Justin's jams, He doesn't play out ever and I am glad I get to enjoy them via video and whatnot. Justin, Leanne, and I enjoyed happy hour at The Blue Parrot yesterday. A fun time was had by all... well, at least Justin, Leanne, and myself. There may have been a casualty or two, but nothing that demands rehashing right here.

This period, late 2008, was epic, for me and my friends, around here, in a perfectly understated way. We had great friends. We were happy. We looked out for each other and everyone was respectful and kind, pretty much all the time. Although the "scene," as it was, survived a bit longer, egos, greediness, and short-sighted thinking, began to barge their insidious way into the whole thing and that is why we've got a whole new scene now, with equal quality and a good deal less quantity. Less drama, equal love. None of these beasts had reared their ugly heads yet in the bliss that was late 2008.

Hail Robin Lee. Hail Truesdail. Hail the General, Justin Mills!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 107 "The Broken Van and Puppy Poo Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MIGeDUDmY4

Today was a bit of rough day, even though I'm feeling MUCH better right now. I woke up and found out about the earthquake in Japan. My Aunt Rosanne was afraid I'd be washed away, but I was meant to live another day, well, at least til 5:28PM, so far. Yesterday, I drove the van I got for our upcoming tour, to work. I got an amazing deal on it, essentially free. For some reason doesn't provide much consolation as the bills keep piling up. First, a new catalytic converter to pass smog (California nonsense), then it wouldn't drive when I went to leave school yesterday. I guess that has something to do with the battery. When we jumped it, it drove like poop. Apparently it needs a new clutch too. We brought it to my guy, Marcelino, in North Park. He said it wouldn't cost much. This morning I learned not much means 700 dollars. When I went by after work, I learned the axel is about to go to. Make that 900, and we still haven't found out what the deal is with the battery.

Meanwhile, my beloved pup, Nigel, is pooping his way through life, these days, all over my house and Leanne's at every hour of the day, it seems. I have no dough, despite working constantly. I feel like I care a lot about the world and try to help people, work hard, have many talents and sometimes, it just seems like that and a dollar might get you something at McDonald's. I try not to have pity parties much and while and complain. I am very happy and appreciate all my friends, my girlfriend, my pooches, my family and all the love they bring to my life so much. Sometimes, I just wish the world seemed more fair.

That's when I resolve to trust karma, buck up, get through the day, and remember how much better off I am than so many people and so many ways and appreciate it. That is aslo a perfect time to sing the blues. The blues are the world's best way to complain and still be cool. It's like they invented a whole style of music for it. Gosh, I love music. So , i sang a little blues song here about what's going wrong, and hopefully, what's going right a little bit, before in a move emblematic of my hanging by a thread, I snapped into one of the song I do with my young students, "This Train," for the end of the clip.

"This Train" is an old spiritual number, so much for keeping God, and his various cultish followings, out of the schools. Ha. Hail salvation. Did I mention every San Diego elementary school teacher is getting pink slipped this week. Nice world.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 107 "Fortunate Son" by John Fogerty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvfdAok4Gm8

Getting through the cove today was rough. Was just SO not feeling it. Tried a bunch of jams. Each seems more contrived and pointless than the next. I even just talked and ranted into the camera for a little bit, just to get things off my chest. Then I finally found a song, and a classic one at that, that was just as dejected as I was. Of course, that always makes you feel better. Not as much as finishing work and going home, but definitely a start.

"Fortunate Son" is great. I couldn't agree more with its' message. I long for the days when popular superstar rockers put out stuff like this, before our whole stupid "culture" jumped the shark. John Fogerty wrote this jam and played it, of course, with his legendary band, Credence Clearwater Revival. Just watched it again. Pretty soulful version, I must say. Long live the blues, 'cause when they're gone... it's 'cause there ain't no people living left.

No comments: